News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Portholes, portlghts?

Started by Heligan, June 07, 2019, 11:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heligan

Hello everybody
My name is Paul and I am the newish owner of Number 95, Heligan.
My question is about the portlights/ portholes.
I was cleaning around the brass suround on the porthole when I pressed lightly on the "glass"
And to my dismay, I pushed the Glass in. It was an oval piece of Perspex which was just glued in place with a bit of silicon sealant. Is this normal for Winklebrigs or is there some sort of fixing ring missing?
I have looked up a pair of new bronze portlights from Davey's and they seem to be priced around £500
Surely there is a method of fixing the window in a more secure way?
I look forward to reading your comments
Regards
Paul

dave_cawston

They are just stuck in with a silicon adhesive. Marlie has had several cases of the perspex coming loose. A five minute job to put right. 

Heligan

Hi Dave
Thanks for replying.
It just didn't seem that durable as a porthole to keep the weather and more out.
As I say, the portholes from Davey's are very expensive.
Oh well!
Food for thought

Ken

Hi Paul
I had v similar experience when cleaning the "glass" surface of one of my forward facing ports and -sure enough- a quick clean off of old sealant and replacement with new sorted the problem.
Glad you told me of replacement cost !  I shall be extra careful not to drop them onto a hard surface if I take them off again.
Have fun with your WB .. they're great :)
Ken

Martin

I recommend using Sikaflex 295 UV Marine Adhesive & Sealant.  It  will last longer than the perspex so it may be worth replacing the perspex - maybe something thicker- at the same time. Mine lasted about 20 years and as far as I know is still going strong.

Heligan

Ah, thanks for that, Martin,
I went to a boat jumble in Littlehampton last weekend as I just happened to be visiting my daughters! And I managed to find a matching pair of round port lights for the princely sum of £65.
I had noticed that some Winkle brigs seem to have them on the front face of the cabin.
Am I right in assuming that this sealant would be good for fitting the new ones to the fibre glass?
I also bought a few other goodies as well but, that is another story.

Martin

Yes. It is what I would use - as long as you don't ever want to get them off!