News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Electric outboards

Started by Old Forum, April 06, 2014, 07:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Thanks for publishing the results of your motor trials, Gerold.
As mentioned previously I keep the Torqueedo as an auxilliary on an drop-down transom bracket, so I have often wondered how it would perform.
I am off to Morbihan next month so I will do a bit of testing (although not in some of the more ferocious 10 Knot currents :-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=095PdISuZZ8)
Not a tow car but this has kept me off the streets the last 18 months:-

David Bone

I recently installed a Torqeedo 1003CS on W/B 107.
When mounted on the originally positioned outboard bracket, the fin of the motor projects about 4" below the keel and as I have an attraction for shallow water, with the occasional grounding, I moved the bracket up by 110mm.
By inserting 10mm spacers behind the bracket, the battery clears the well back plate by about 5mm, without modification and the forward end of the propellor hub clears the aft end of the keel by 15mm.
In operation, this works o.k.
I elected to install the optional remote controller, instead of the tiller, as I felt this would intrude too far into the cockpit and be a nuisance. The remote is bolted to a right angled plywood bracket, angled up by 30 degrees for screen visibility, which in turn is bolted through to the port locker, secured by hand tightened wing nuts, permitting removal after each outing.
Attached, should be a couple of photographs, illustrating the installation.
David Bone

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello David,

looking quite good! To lift the motor position avoiding grond contact is a good idea. I didn´t until yet because of the depth in the Duemmer lake, there ist normally no problem with this.

I have made the experience that during sailing with app. 2,5 to 3,0 knots the Torqueedo starts to rotate because of the water streaming past to the propeller. It sounds as if the motor still running, a very annoying sound. Because of this if I plan to sail a little longer I prefer to remove the Torqueedo until I plan to land again.

Last year I´ve sailed at Baltic sea, I prefer a 6 PS Petrol outboard because of power and available operating time.

Kind regards form Germany

Gerold 

Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

David Bone

Hello Gerold,
My experience with the Torqeedo is recent and limited, so I haven't yet fully established its qualities.
Intended use is on the English lakes, where I feel it should do well and also be more environmentally friendly. (Noise, fumes and safety with grandchildren overnighting.)
However, I do agree, that for the sea, it would be inadequate and a petrol outboard is presently the only viable solution, so have retained my Mariner 4 for this use.
Return greetings from Cumbria.
David

dave_cawston

Well done David for taking the plunge and investing in the Torqueedo.  I eagerly await reports on range/running time etc. under Lake District operating conditions.  And just how noisy is it in comparison with a petrol OB?
David C

David Bone

Responding to Gerold & David's inputs, here are some initial impressions of the Torqeedo Travel 1003CS.

1/ Gerold notes that the propellor rotates under sail at speeds over 2.5 knots.
So far, at speeds up to 4.5 knots, I have noted no rotation and think this is probably due to the unit being sited higher, with the 2 bladed propellor shielded fully behind the keel.

2/ Attached is a table of speeds, time and distance ranges achieved at a trial on Coniston Water and wonder how this compares with Gerold's experiences.

3/ At 3/4 throttle and above, there is considerable turbulence and backwash in the outboard well, which will be holding back some potential speed and in the longer term, I may well fit removable baffle plates in the bottom of the well. (a.k.a. Roger Parrish) My higher propellor position probably makes this more noticeable.

4/ Whilst certainly much quieter than a petrol outboard, the unit is by no means silent and above 1/2 throttle, there is a fairly high pitched whine from the gearbox.
(Competitor, EPropulsions's, comparable unit has a direct drive, brushless DC motor, which is apparently quite and of lower pitch.)

5/ To lock the battery to the motor unit, a long pin is inserted from the side, too long to be fitted whilst in the well, so the whole unit has to be assembled before lowering into position, which is a nuisance.  The battery is fairly well secured on the motor with location lugs and unlikely to dislodge, so I made a shorter hardwood pin, allowing me to secure the motor on the mounting bracket, then fit the battery and lock it on one side whilst in the well. Due to restricted space around, I think the boat would have to near capsize for the battery to fall off.

6/ Response, ease of use and hence manoeuvrability is greatly enhanced over a petrol outboard.

7/ The tiller/control unit display information is comprehensive and most useful. (Not least under sail.)

8/ In the past, I have usually only used the outboard when essential, for about 20 mins each outing, so for this use range would not be an issue but I plan to make more use of this electric unit and it remains to be seen whether one battery will provide sufficient resources.  Current thoughts are that the manufacturer's battery duration claims are optimistic and I am a little disappointed. (Additional batteries are unfortunately, very expensive.

These are very much first impressions and may change with more experience.

Martin

That's a really useful posting David. Many thanks.

I purchased the Torqeedo a couple of years ago and have only used it as an auxilliary on a transom bracket (and on the Avon).

As I can't reach over and fit the battery to the unit safely, I bought a longer tiller connecting cable (a standard extra) and keep the battery in the rear locker. This means it is out of harm's way as it is quite an expensive and easily pinchable item. Also,  there are no problems with fitting the retaining pin.

One point to mention about the remote control unit. I bought one originally, but found it was very susceptable to sun damage and mine packed up within quite a short period of time. I recommend that if you buy one, you try and site it somewhere in the shade and put a cover on it when not in use.

David Bone

Hello Martin,
Thanks for your advice, particularly re sun damage to the remote controller, which has now received attention.

David Bone

Ref unpowered rotation under sail of the Torqeedo 1003C propellor, with associated gearbox whine, as mentioned by Gerold. (Reply #47)
As my gearbox has freed up, this rotation, hence noise, has become much more prevalent and is certainly most annoying.
To prevent rotation, I inserted a 750 x 25 x 8mm wooden batten from the forward end of the motorhead, extending aft down the starboard side of the outboard leg, secured at the top with a lanyard.
The blade comes up against the batten and stops.
The batten positioning is fairly positive because there are removable baffle boards in the bottom of the well surrounding the outboard leg.
Primitive but quick, easy and it worked. As a reminder to remove the batten before motor use, I displaced the magnetic stop key and very much hope to remember the association.
Whilst the 1103C propellor will probably also rotate, due to direct drive, there will presumably be no noise.

David