News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Interior construction

Started by VROUW KIRSTEN, August 01, 2016, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello!

Although I use nearly every weekend for sailing and learning I am looking forward to autumn and winter. Two projects are in process of planning:

- installation of a chain locker with drainage unter the bow-deck
- built-in cupboard in the bow of my WB

Does anyone have experience with similar ideas?

Kind regards

Gerold
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

Martin

Hello Gerold

I have installed a chain locker in the bow of 'Winkle'. The chain goes down a bronze chainpipe :-
http://classicmarine.co.uk/boatstore/product.asp?strParents=0,31&CAT_ID=37&P_ID=83
and into a triangular shaped plastic tub in the bow of the boat. The forepeak is sealed off with plywood with an  internal hatch in it allowing space for the chain bucket and couple of spare fenders.

I thought about making the whole thing watertight with a front facing drain hole through the bow but I found it wasn't necessary (no appreciable amount of water gets in here with the chainpipe facing backwards), and I prefer the access to the cupboard being through the cabin as it limits the size of the hole in the foredeck to the diameter of the chainpipe - therby retaining the strength in the foredeck.

I carry quite a lot of chain in this way as I anchor in the East Coast estuaries (tidal), and I have found the arrangement works very well.

I will post some pictures the next time I go to the boat.
Kind Regards
Martin

Martin

Photos attached.
(I am sure you can make a better job of it than me, but the arrangements seems to work).

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello Martin,

exact the way I want to do it! The only difference, I will add an intermediate floor to save space below the chain box. Considering the weight of the complete chain (I use 20 m of 8mm stainless steel) I´ll use a solid substructure.

Regards

Gerold

This Weekend all days 3 to 4 Beaufort at the Duemmer lake will be an irresistible Invitation  ;D

Ken

Hi Gerold
Hope you had a good time last weekend at the Duemmer lake.
I took a look around on Google maps and noticed there are quite a few places to sail from. Which do you use ?

I sail from here :
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1758513,-2.4744934,269m/data=!3m1!1e3
but seems conditions will be poor until next Monday  :(
Ken

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello Ken,

I hope the link works:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/52%C2%B031'31.3%22N+8%C2%B021'27.4%22E/@52.525372,8.3564927,355m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d52.525372!4d8.357625

Weather was fine, and I enjoyed a great saturday. Looking forward to the next weekend...  ;)

Gerold

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello,

because I have had some bad experience with the Standard mast Support I started to built a new one, smaller with no "sheet-catchers".

I will add some photos if I have finished and installed.

Gerold

Added 25th of september: Fitted to the boat and tested at the lake: it works and I believe it looks nice.

Gerold

Ken

Hi Gerlod
I've been away a bit and have only just got to your Sailing area link.It works ! Thanks. I'll explore that info a bit later as I need to organize a clip to fix a roller that's come adrift on my trailer  before I sail again this week (I hope).

Ken

Hurray! for the Winkle Brig forum and  Hurray! for Dave Cawston who spotted my mention to Gerold about a roller clip and contacted me to say he could post me one !  As he lives less than ten miles from me I collected the one I need and a bonus spare  ...  what a gentleman!
Hope to get the roller fixed and one or two days sailing this week :)
Thanks Dave !    ;D

VROUW KIRSTEN

Now the new clothing store is nearly ready. The solution for the anchor chain system has to wait until the next winter, but the first step is done.
Thank you for the suggestions and images!
Kind regards

Gerold