News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Lifting rudder

Started by Martin, July 28, 2014, 06:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

After many years of running aground here is my new lifting rudder. Haven't sailed with it yet so hope it works!

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello Martin,

how is your experience with the lifting rudder? I feel it looks very interesting. Does it word as expected?
Is the lifting blade made of metal?
Kind regards

Gerold
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

Martin

Hi Gerold.

Yes. I have been very pleased with the rudder. Not only have I eliminated the running aground issues/anxieties mentioned in my earlier post, but I was always unhappy (sailing single handed) leaning right over the stern to lift the old rudder on and off. Now, whenever I leave the boat on a tidal mooring I simply raise the rudder blade without having to take the whole thing of the pintles.

The rudder blade is 8mm aluminium the same shape and more or less the same same size as the original although  lighter.

When I first tried it out I was a bit worried that as there is nothing holding the blade in the down position it would ride up as I sailed along, but my fears proved groundless, and I have since been out in reasonable seas, winds, and tides, and it stays down. I am not quite sure why, but guess it must be the weight of the aluminium combined with its slim underwater profile.

I was very lucky to find the old mahogany rudder stock in a local boatyard, which although a bit battered (rather like my boat!) is a lovely colour and didn't need too much alteration. However, having taken the two halves apart to fit the blade, I discovered that it would not have been difficult to make one from new.

I painted the aluminium blade to begin with, but the paint came straight off in the salt water. I have not repainted it since, as for my sailing I dont think the aluminium is exposed to salt water for long enough to be seriously damaged by corrosion, although I do keep an eye on it.

A good winter project. Good luck!

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello ,

the spring is coming closer, from first of April we will be on the water again. But - there is a lot to do until VROUW KIRSTEN will be in her element again.

Regarding to our discussion last year the tiller was one of my projects. A combination of a 1.4571 stainless steel rudder blade, 4 mm thick, raisable, with a new helm stock made of glued layers of  oak to avoid any warping of the oak. I have used a Bindulin 2 components glue.

I have made shape of the new tiller close to the template of Martin, which I felt was perfect. Because of the hollow blade housing I will have to manufacture a reinforced lower holder to cominate the axle of the blade with em.

I will add the techncial drawing and a photo of finished tiller when it is ready.

Greetings to all the ones working at the boat!

Gerold
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!