News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

TSA Easter 2011

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 07:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 01:46 pm:      
Anyone going to the Norfolk Broads at Easter?
As Easter is so late this year I might stand a chance of getting Winkle ready in time! I can't remember where you launch from and when. Anyone know?

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 08:14 pm:      
Hi Martin, Dave Cawston and I are going to Broads at Easter. We are going down on the Friday and launching Saturday morning. There is a TSA quiz and buffet evening on the Friday at Potter Heigham. I am basing myself at Hickling Broad for the week and launching at Whispering Reeds Boatyard but Dave will be launching at Colin Buttifants yard at Ludham and is recommended. (Buttifants tel number is 01692678067)

Old Forum

Phil Shimmin
Username: Philshimmin

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 02:34 am:      
I will be launching at Beccles on the 28th April for a weeks pottering around the southern broads, unfortunately without my wife...so I may have to exist on pub grub!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 07:01 pm:      
Many thanks all. Hope to join up with you at some stage. I will know nearer the time.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 09:22 pm:      
Easter on the Norfolk Broads was sunny and windy albeit rather cold at times due to the north easterly wind. We hired a houseboat as we have no accommodation on board. Here are a couple of pictures of Markie. Unfortunately they do not reflect the good sailing from the F3/4 conditions for most of the week. David took some really good pictures of my new boat and this was probably the best to rival Beken of Cowes!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 06:05 am:      
I am sorry I din't make it to the Northern Broads to meet up with you and David this year. I eventually got onto the water on 29/30th at Borough St Peter and had an exhillerating 20 knot downwind run to Beccles. Sheltering in the reeds on the way back, met up with Phil who was steaming back against the gale. Pleasure to meet you Phil and to see your immaculate boat. (Sorry, my phone photos didn't come out).
Hope to meet up with you all later in the year.

Old Forum

Phil Shimmin
Username: Philshimmin

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 05:00 pm:      
Delighted to meet up, Martin here is my version of the recording of the moment.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 05:07 pm:      
Apologies Roger, having problems with the video camera. In the meantime, here are some snaps taken on The Broads at Easter. Cuillin and Thurn Too with keith and Barbara on board

Old Forum

Paul Thomas
Username: Paul_thomas

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 11:09 am:      
Hello everyone, This is my first posting, I bought Partan WB48 from Roger last year. We had our first outing on Ullswater at Easter in fantastic weather. We will be in Poole Harbour for half-term, and are planning on coming to the Broads in July, would appreciate any recommendations for slipway and parking. One other thing, does the bowsprit count when you are buying tolls/harbour dues, i.e. do I pay for<5m>6m? Paul Thomas

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 01:39 pm:      
Welcome Paul!

For the southern Broads I recommend Burgh St Peter.
For Northern Broads,Bullifant's yard at Ludham.
Generally, the northern broads (north of Yarmouth) are more attractive.
Unless you have two weeks I wouldn't try and do the northern and southern in one go.
I never count the bowsprit (as you can always threaten to take it off!).
Happy sailing.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 01:39 pm:      
Welcome Paul!

For the southern Broads I recommend Burgh St Peter.
For Northern Broads,Bullifant's yard at Ludham.
Generally, the northern broads (north of Yarmouth) are more attractive.
Unless you have two weeks I wouldn't try and do the northern and southern in one go.
I never count the bowsprit (as you can always threaten to take it off!).
Happy sailing.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 01:43 pm:      
Hi Paul and pleased to hear that you are getting some good sailing in with Partan.
When in Norfolk would recommend you use Colin Buttifants Yard in Ludham for Northern Broads. Very secure site for car and trailer. Boat licence for one week is about £28 for the Brig, based on 16ft length.
Ask Julian to update the gallery with your name as owner of Partan.
Any thoughts on what you want to do with Partans website. It is still live and gets quite a few visitors and I am happy to continue to maintain it. Let me know if you want to make any changes.
Enjoy your sailing, Roger

Old Forum

Paul Thomas
Username: Paul_thomas

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 03:21 pm:      
Hi Martin, Thanks for the recommendation. I have hired boats at Upton Dyke before, they are v. friendly but their slip is not suitable. Good news about the length, it makes a big difference!
Hi Roger, As far as I can tell I am now the owner on the register, I'll check the gallery. Ullswater was fantastic. We stayed at Park Foot near Pooley Bridge, they have various lodges or camping by the lake. Use of lake and slip is free. I am happy with the website as it is at the moment so long as you are OK dealing with it. I have avoided bothering you with the miriad questions I had and everything sorted itself out once on the water. She sails beautiful and is much admired. Paul

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 11:02 pm:      
Hi Paul and welcome. I don't know if you're likely to be a regular at Ullswater, but I have Peggoty at Ullswater Marine at Watermillock, across the lake and down a bit! Her berth is next to another WB, whose details I've promptly forgotten - Eliza Jane or similar. I'll write her details down at the weekend.

Best wishes

Adrian

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 03:19 pm:      
The Dinghy Cruising Association NW section is holding a rally on Ullswater on June 18-19 and I gather from Keith Dennis that WBs are most welcome, one of the top blokes in the NW section has a WB. So we are thinking about attending, if we have recovered from 3 nights on the Neath Canal, 28-30 May and then Torbay 31 May-5 June. 8 consecutive nights on a WB takes its toll on older bodies!