News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Cockle

Started by Old Forum, April 09, 2014, 09:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 11:53 am:      
I have owned Cockle for four summers.
The first year was defined by teething troubles with the engine, no wind, too much wind, grey skies and rain, high Spring Tides, and prevailing Northerlies on a North facing anchorage. Result no sailing to speak of and barely enough hours on the engine to justify its' first service.
The second year didn't happen at all due to one of the trailer's suspension arms collapsing at the bottom of my drive. Better here than at 60mph on the M56 I consoled myself.
The third year was fraught with the new axle causing loads of problems, and once again bad weather exactly as the first year, resulting in virtually no sailing and grey skies.
So to 2009, and a very de-motivated WB owner set off with yet another new axle, a 1350kg Indesuspension unit, this time, for his usual annual Month's holiday in Nefyn N Wales.
Result, four weeks of, no trailing problems, a very obedient out board, blue skies, moderate to strong SW winds and a boat which has exceeded all my expectations. I have, this summer realised what a really great boat the WB is under sail, very quick and well behaved. What a difference blue skies and a fair wind makes!
I'm on a real high, with loads of enthusiasm for a Winters' rigging mods and cabin comfort development, and hopefully loads of good sailing in 2010.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 05:24 pm:      
A WB 'very quick'? That must be the first time that phrase has been used to describe a WB (OK they are fast enough off the wind). Glad you have eventually discovered the delights of owning Cockle.

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 03:08 pm:      
David
The word 'quick' as I used it is a relative term. We actually gauged Cockles progress against a Cornish Shrimper, and they didn't leave us behind. On another occasion we were tracking a Nefyn Sailing Club race (see http://www.nefynsailingclub.co.uk/) and on the long beam reach on one of the legs we were keeping up with Lasers and similar rated dinghies, which was very satisfying.
Upwind was much steadier but the angle between tacks was about 100 degrees which is better than I expected.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 10:52 am:      
Yes beating is a bit of a slog but off the wind a WB is certainly quick enough. We did Loch Ness top to bottom in under 4 hours, double reef in the main, no jib, surfing down the waves, hanging on to the tiller with all my strength (afraid it might snap). No hire boats were being allowed out it was that windy (6ish+ gusts) and rough. But Markie handled it fine. It took 2 eight hour days of tacking (with an hour of motoring each day) to get back! But yes, we are not disgraced when off the wind when sailing with all the Etaps etc in the TSA fleet.