News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

A WB sailing day in Chichester Harbour?

Started by Old Forum, April 09, 2014, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

James_parsons
Username: James_parsons

Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 10:50 pm:      
Dear all. I see that a few WBs are based at or near Chichester Harbour, which is where I most frequently sail. I wondered if people would be interested in meeting up one weekend in the Summer and sailing to a suitable pub for lunch, or, dependent on weather, popping across together to Isle of Wight and back? Or could overnight and come back next day.
Julian suggested I put my idea on the forum so here it is...
Let me know if you're interested, together with your suggestions, and ideas for dates. I am happy to co-ordinate and make any necessary bookings etc. You can either reply to this thread or email me at jamesparsons(at)btinternet.com.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 11:47 am:      
I'm due to pick up my new boat on July 17 (fingers crossed) My daughter and I are planning an expedition to the Solent in the last week of July/first week in August. Exact dates are purely dependent on weather, she will only sail when it is sunny and warm :-) If that coincides with any WB get together, I would enjoy meeting up with anyone. Mind you, I don't have a Winkle Brig anymore (he whispers quietly)

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 08:48 pm:      
Hi James, I will try to join you. Not available in July or middle two weeks in September or third weekend in October. Apart from that anytime when its warm and sunny!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 11:41 am:      
I would be interested too. I can fit in with most dates. Let me know when you have one and I will try to be there.

Old Forum

James_parsons

Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 04:57 pm:      
Great! I'm thinking tenatively of either the weekend 15-16 or 22-23 August, or, avoiding the bank holiday at the end of August, 5-6 September. Can anyone tell me which will be the sunny weekends? :-)
Just a thought Julian - the first week of August (1-8) is Cowes week. Solent is going to be pretty lively and full, but maybe you that's part of the fun....

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 08:35 am:      
I think avoiding Cowes week would be a good idea. I don't know the area at all, but isn't road congestion (plus launching & parking) at that time likely to be a problem?
I will be coming from Suffolk so will stay at least one night probably two.Either 15-16 or 22-23 August would be good for me.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 09:16 am:      
I haven't actually been on the Solent on Cowes Week. I Think Martin is right that problems on the road will be significant, but on the water it would just be interesting... I have been on the Solent when it has looked like wall to wall sail, but when you get up to them, there is still lots of room between the boats. It is also noticeable that even when the Solent appears to be full to overflowing with boats, the marinas still seem as full as ever. They say that only 10% of moored boats ever go out in one year.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 08:31 pm:      
I'd love to join you, but its not looking likely - may be if the dates run into September. I have very happy memories of pottering across from Mill Rythe to east head in my brothers boat- (aah!30years ago!)
and swimming from the boat at night, warm water full of phosphorescence, barbeques on the beach, pub suppers in west wittering, then trying to find the dinghy again in the saltings after one or two beers in the dark! or outings to Bembridge, crossing the solent at first light on balmy summer days...

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 01:54 pm:      
I am OK for 5/6 September if you (and the others) could make it then Adrian. It would be great to have 4 Winklebrigs plus the Baycruiser out. No chance of 'Markie' coming as well David?

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 05:20 pm:      
Sorry Martin, not this year, too much on about then, although we are hoping, along with Partan to be on Windermere over the August Bank Holiday.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 10:21 pm:      
I'm away on holiday in the USA for the first two weeks of September I'm afraid, so can't make these dates.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 02:45 pm:      
I can now only do 22/23 August. Is this OK with everyone else?

Old Forum

James_parsons

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 10:23 pm:      
Always hard to find a weekend all can do. Here's what I suggest: Let's go ahead with w/e 22/23 August, whether there are few boats or many. We can always meet up again later in the year if people would like to.
I propose to set up camp at Northney Marina (North end of Hayling Island) on Friday night. I'm happy to be a contact point throughout the weekend so people can join when it suits, and find us wherever we happen to be. Ideas for things/places you'd like included most welcome. I'm a relative new comer to the Chichester area and still have lots to explore, though I've found a few unexpected mudbanks already!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 01:25 pm:      
Thanks James.
I have never been to Chichester before, so looking forward to it. I think I will be arriving at about 5.00pm. Will it be possible to launch then, or is it a case of sleeping on the trailer for the first night? Do you know if trailer/car parking is available at the marina?

Old Forum

James_parsons

Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 11:25 pm:      
Martin. There is an all tide slipway at Northney and plenty of secure parking and showers weather forecast etc, which is one of the reasons it's so handy. And there's a hose by the slip to wash the salt off the trailer once launched.
Unless you want to get out for an evening sail on the Friday I would suggest launching 1st thing Saturday, as you would have to pay for mooring or berth Friday night. I usually pay for a launch and recovery when I get there in the evening, which allows one access to marina showers etc. and then park up in a quiet corner of the large car park and launch in the morning. You'll no doubt recognise my boat when you arrive!
Use of the slip for launch and recovery is about £20. You should also get a weekend Chichester Harbour Conservancy pass, which I think is about £3 and can be obtained at the Marina. Seems many don't bother with this, and I've never had mine checked, but it's a small price to pay for preserving such a beautiful place.
You can of course launch from one of the many free slips around Chichester Harbour, but there are generally no facilities, and you have to pay to park car and trailer in unsecured car park. I think it's worth paying to launch at the Marina for convenience, hot showers and peace of mind!
Hope this helps. I'll put out more useful info before the 22nd.