News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

A WB sailing day in Chichester Harbour?

Started by Old Forum, April 09, 2014, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

James_parsons
Username: James_parsons

Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 02:52 pm:      
Any more takers for sailing at Chichester Harbour this coming weekend 22/23 August? - Either one or both days. I'll be there anyway, but great to see others.
It's going to be Spring tides so that's both an opportunity and "interesting". An opportunity because we can explore parts that are usually too shallow, and using the tide get around quite fast. "Interesting" because the ebb tide across Chichester Bar can up to 6kts against us if we time it wrong!
Depends on weather but I have in mind a sail on Saturday from Northney/Langstone to East Head - anchor or pull ashore on ther beach for picnic/barbecue. Then either back to Northney or over to Birdham/Chichester for the night. Then Sunday out into the Solent if the weather and waves are ok, perhaps to the forts and back. Then return to point of departure and pack up. Of course this is just ideas, and we can do whatever the weather permits and participants feel like doing. I'll aim to be at Northney Marina parked up in the car park from about 6pm Friday evening. I'll pass on my mobile number to anyone who confirms they may be coming along. Please feel free to call me any time to confirm or ask questions etc.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 09:44 pm:      
I'm not going to be able to do next weekend I'm afraid. My daughter and I have done our voyage to the Isle of Wight. Couldn't really believe we did it until we rang up Mum to say "We're in Yarmouth!" Feel a proper sailor now.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 09:44 pm:      
I'm not going to be able to do next weekend I'm afraid. My daughter and I have done our voyage to the Isle of Wight. Couldn't really believe we did it until we rang up Mum to say "We're in Yarmouth!" Feel a proper sailor now.

Old Forum

James_parsons

Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 02:20 pm:      
Sounds like you had a great trip Julian. Yarmouth is my favourite IoW harbour. Shame you can't make it. Maybe next time.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 06:37 pm:      
I have just returned from a family Devon holiday with a gastric bug.So much for holidays!
As I am still rather weak it is with great regret that I will not be able to join you in Chichester, but please let me know about your next trip as I would love to explore that part of the coast with someone who knows it.
Have a great time.

Old Forum

James_parsons

Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 08:17 pm:      
No problem Martin. I'll be going anyway so will report back, maybe with some photos to share. I'm assuming at this point that no other WB's will be coming unless I hear from anyone to the contrary. Looks like weather is going to be pretty good - nice breeze, quite dry, and warm. What more could one ask. I guess the downside is that there will b e lots of other people with the same thoughts, so could get busy! All part of the fun! James

Old Forum

James_parsons

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 12:02 am:      
Well the weather last weekend was almost perfect, and as expected the water was busy, but there was some great sailing. Liberta discovered a few new sandbanks, but no drama getting off. Love this boat! Still don't think I've got the halyards and rigging quite right yet. And the jib roller reefing chose to jam just as a squall hit. Will need some more tinkering. 2nd time it's jammed. Do others have the same problem? But I guess it's part of the fun!
Hope to see others on Chichester Harbour in due course. It's a great place to sail a WB.