News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Semaine du Golfe du Morbihan

Started by Old Forum, April 09, 2014, 08:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 04:32 pm:      
This two yearly event in Brittany is taking place 18-24 May. I am thinking of going (Portsmouth-St Malo, then a 3 hour drive). Has anyone been in the past? Is anyone else going?
http://www.semainedugolfe.fr/index.php?langue=gb&mod=

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 08:29 am:      
All booked in now, so no turning back! Anyone who is interested, the Brittany ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo seems the best (although not cheap)route as it is only a two hour drive the other side.If crew want to meet you in Morbihan, I am told by mine that there are currently very cheap flights from Stansted or East Midlands to Dinard.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 07:21 pm:      
Martin, I saw Winkle's photograph posted on the Morbihan web site. Looks good. No turning back now! I would like to go myself, but can't make it this year, but hope to make it in 2011.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 09:42 am:      
Thanks Julian. (Winkle photo taken by Roger at Windermere in 2007).I will try not to trail quite so many lines in France, as national pride will be at stake! I see the 'Bay raiders' are going. I will be interested to see one on the water and look forward to seeing yours on a TSA outing in the near future.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:09 am:      
Good Luck Martin, we will be thinking of you at Morbihan. For many many years I have longed to take Markie to such an event. But it is just too far and too expensive for us. And what will we be doing over the late May bank holiday, having a great time (ha ha) with Markie on a canal at Ashby de la Zouch , probably sheltering under the boom tent in the pouring rain (not quite as glamorous as Golfe du Morbihan).

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:17 am:      
Thanks David.See you all on the Broads this Easter?

Old Forum

Nick Baker
Username: Nick_baker

Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 01:51 pm:      
Hi Martin,
I live about 15km from St.Malo not far from the main route to Rennes which is no doubt the road you will use.If you have any problems or just want to call in for a cup of tea please get in touch.
I can,t join you in Morbihan as my family will be over on holiday but maybe some of us can get together down there next time.
My email address is nick22(at)orange.fr

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 04:06 pm:      
Very kind of you Nick.A 'port in a storm' might be very useful as I am ashamed to say I can't make myself understood in French any more. Will email.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 04:46 pm:      
Just returned from Morbihan. I can thoroughly recommend it to all Winklebriggers. Easy to get to from St Malo and far more miles of waterway than you could possibly explore in a week (or even a month).
The tides weren't as scary as people had warned.(No worse than the UK's east coast). The Bretons were wonderful - friendly and welcoming and loved the boat.I can't think of a cruising ground better suited to the Winklebrig.

Old Forum

Barend Nieuwendijk
Username: Barend_nieuwendijk

Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 08:09 pm:      
Hi Martin,
I am going to the Semaine du Golf this year. Were did you launch your boat in 2009?
Hope to hear from You.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 08:17 am:      
I launched in Larmor-Baden which was a bit chaotic as roads are very narrow. Because of the huge number of boats and visitors there are helpful officials both on and off the water, car parks and car and trailer parks in fields nearby.
As I was single handed I had some difficulty launching, mooring and parking the car simultaneously (which they expect you to do!). If you have someone with you to park the car it would help.

During the week I was there I noticed that there is another (probably better) slipway at Arradon but Larmor-Baden is where the festivities are. If you had problems at Larmor-Baden you could always launch at Arradon and sail back to join the rest of the fleet.(Not sure where you would park at Arradon).

There is a slipway at Larmor-Baden, but the prevailing wind blows straight onto it and as it was blowing at about 20 knots in 2009 it was impossible for me to use it so I was crained in with the larger boats (this is free).

I hope you have a wonderful time. I did. Take a Brittany (not French)courtesy flag and the locals will love you forever. They love Winklebrigs.

Old Forum

Barend Nieuwendijk
Username: Barend_nieuwendijk

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 11:28 pm:      
Thanks Martin,
very helpfull information.