News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Is anyone sailing this year?

Started by Old Forum, April 09, 2014, 08:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:26 am:      
This has been one of the worse sailing seasons I can remember. We have had to run for home and even get towed home on occasions because of the storm force winds over the south coast. Last year wasn't much better. I think I have logged less total distance sailing this year than I did over a long weekend two years ago. How is everyone else doing.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 08:47 pm:      
Not great is it! Not more than 6 outings all summer. Hope to join the Old Gaffers this weekend and next week with several of the cruises/races in the week of 'Classic Cruises' around these parts. Anyone else coming?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 08:57 pm:      
The only excitement from the weather was when we did get a tow. We were making no progress at all against a force 6-7 wind and ebbing spring tide. Eventually we flagged down a friendly RIB with a 250HP outboard who towed us back to our mooring, about two miles. We touched 10.5kts! Threw up the most enormous bow wave and we were soaked to the skin. I would love to have seen it from the shore. It must have been one of the stranger sights of the year.