News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Anchoring & Mud Weights

Started by Old Forum, April 09, 2014, 07:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Colin Firth
Username: Colin_firth

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:12 pm:      
Jenya Tan is planned to take us cruising the Broads this summer. In the past we have used a home made mud weight using a plastic tub with concrete - not v. successful as no suction. Can any WB sailor advise on weight, shape and AVAILABILITY of a suitable mud weight, commercial or home made? We have 2 anchors, the main being a Foblight Aluminium/Magnesium 3.9kg (equivalent to a 10kg steel apparently) with weighted rope, and hope the mud weight will double as an "ANGEL".

Old Forum

Andy Dalby
Username: Andy_dalby

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 07:44 am:      
We bought a 14kg one from Colin Buttifant. He advised that weight for us, it seemed a bit over the top to me, but as he said you don't know what conditions you'll be in. Better to be safe. Most of the hire boats seem to have much smaller relative to boat size. You can buy weights most places on the broads, he was a bit cheaper than the chandlerys(ies?) I tried making one as well, it was rubbish. Concrete isn't heavy enough and the bottom needs to be concave for the suction.

Old Forum

Colin Firth
Username: Colin_firth

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 06:38 pm:      
Thanks, Andy, You've confirmed our feelings. 14 kg seems excessive - we're optimistically thinking of 5kg, especially as the main holding power is the suction once the weight is settled in the mud. We're trying chandlers in the area.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 08:58 pm:      
I have used a 7Kg lead weight on many occasions and it has never moved, in fact it is often difficult to extract from the Norfolk Broads ooze! I cast it myself melting old lead roof flashing in the wifes best non stick saucepan. Be careful though as it can spit if there are impurities. The other alternative is to search the junk shops for the old cast iron scale weights. However I think lead is the best as for a given weight it is small and sinks well.