News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

End of the season 2007

Started by Old Forum, April 09, 2014, 07:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 03:56 pm:      
I pulled my boat out and took her home yesterday. I shall post a message here shortly giving a brief synopsis of where I went and how it went this year. If others do the same, we can start to build a log of what the Winkle Brigs have been up to this year.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 01:58 pm:      
Well, its dark and cold in Huddersfield, and I want to hibernate. I shall cheer myself up with recalling a wonderful holiday on the isle of Gigha - a terrific, remarkably benign place to sail, tiny tidal range (0.5 metre or so, though in the Sound it does run 2-3 knots I think )with great holding in firm sand,(probably fine to tie up to the jetty with the yacht tenders) simple facilities, launching from the concrete ferry slip, camping and holiday accommodation available, the hotel and the boathouse bar for meals and drinks, and a village shop with everything. Covered by the Clyde Sailing club sailing directions. Thoroughly recommended. Here's a taster, from a fresher than it looks day when I let friends sail Peg, as long as they showed off for the camera! Happy days.

Old Forum

Some more pics!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:22 am:      
Adrian, these are lovely pictures. A real boost on a miserable winter's day. I haven't got any pictures of myown boat under sail, so these are good to see. Lovely colour scheme!

One word of advice which others might comment on. When you reef, don't tie the reefing pennants under the boom. Just tie them under the sail itself so that the sail remains loose footed. Putting them under the boom puts a tremendous strain on the sail cloth which it is not reinforced to take at those points.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 04:02 pm:      
Julian, thankyou for the kind words, and the advice. All advice always gratefully recieved!

A couple more pictures, first, of a wonderful pirates weekend camping on St. Herbert's island, or 'Pirate Island' as it is more properly called, in Derwent Water.

Old Forum

martin cartwright

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 02:30 pm:      
Wonderful photos Adrian. So sorry to hear about your subsequent mishap. At least it will give you something interesting to do over the Christmas holidays! Happy Christmas.