News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Sailing Areas

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 10:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 05:44 pm:      
Martin, We will be going (hopefully) to Windermere over the August Bank Holiday. It may sound crazy going to the lake district over a bank holiday (yes the traffic can be bad) but we find once we are out on the water we escape from the crowds and Windermere is so nice and peaceful without the waterskiers etc.. We base ourselves at Fell Foot, which is a National Trust park at the very southern end of the lake. It has a good slipway (not very busy so you can take your time) with a jetty alongside, good overnight jetties to moor alongside, good toilets and showers(both open 24/7), a good daytime cafe and although it is busy in the park during the day you have the whole place to yourselves the rest of the time (very peaceful). Mooring fees are currently (I think) £16 per day + launching + car parking. Roger was the last to use Fell Foot. We love it there.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 08:58 pm:      
Adrian, Roger and David:-Thank you all very much for your help.
It looks like we will be leaving on Monday, but the family are anxiously looking at the sky, so I can't be sure!
Windermere and Derwent Water both look great. I will certainly try to visit soon, even if the weather forces a trip to the Broads for next week.(20 minutes drive!).

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:19 am:      
greetings from Gigha! having A truely marvellous time on this idyllic little island. Perfect anchorage in the sandy bay, less than 1m tidal range, and perfect for the boys.
learned a great deal, some terrific experiences and many questions on my return. Some pictures too, hopefully! sadly not now as my phone gadget's camera got doused in ribena on the way over rest and be thankful.
best wishes
Adrian

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:00 pm:      
As Dave Cawston has already mentioned Partan and Markie are planning to be on Windermere over the August Bank Holiday.
I intend spending four days at Derwentwater from Monday 20th August. I have never been before so any advice would be welcome. I have investigated the two marinas and seem to have the choice of leaving the Brig on the trailer at Derwentwater Marina (no berths) and daysailing or taking a swinging mooring at Nickel End Marine. The former will require B&B and the latter I will have to swim ashore as I have sold the tender! What should I do?

Old Forum

Adrian evans

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 01:15 am:      
Roger, for me, Derwent water marina was an easy winner over Nickel end. space on shore is extremely restricted at Nickel end. I have had no problem in sleeping on board on Peggoty on the trailer: DWM seems very laid back. hare slept on board tied up to the end of the pontoon with no problem either. also slept at anchor/ moored to a tree at st. Huberts isle 3 times now. bottom is hard as concrete though! needed to pile rocks on top of the anchor! theres a beach to the west of the northern tip, but approach *very* gingerly to avoid just submerged but fairly visible boulders close in!
laminated chart from the D W Marina office for £2, and a shore access/ public/private ownership map copy from N E.
otherwise, a fair amount oF acconmodlition available Portinscale and Keswick. not tried it, but DWM self catering apartments get good reports, and the derwent lodge hotel immediately opposite the marina has reasonably priced good food esp. breakfast! (book for evening meals.) great food at N E cafe too. only 1/4 mile between DWM and NEM. when sailing from DWM slip, Sight boat house on derwent isle (the only private island on the lake) and keep to Starboard of slip/boat house line.
might see you there, but gigha still has me in its thrall!
incidently, met DEM owners in Gigha boat house!

Old Forum

Simon Rose

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:29 pm:      
Hi Adrian - you got one! I was just checking out Winkle brigs and saw your name. Looks like a lovely boat and great picture of Arley at the tiller - must catch up for some sailing next year.

Simon

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 08:15 pm:      
Oh Simon- how lovely to see you on the forum!
Yes- I bought Peggoty in May last year, and have been thoroughly enjoying her - there are more pictures of her in the lakes, and on the isle of Gigha in the 'end of season' thread.
are you thinking of buying a WB?

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 08:59 am:      
Is anyone going to the Brest International maritime Festival (wwwbrest2008.fr)? I gather that some of the Drascombe Association are going and I am thinking about it.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 09:29 am:      
This is a show I would love to go to, but can't make it this year. I think it is on every other year, so 2010 I want to pencil it in. Am I right in thinking it alternates with the Semaine de Golfe festival in Morbihan? I wold like to get to that one too, but it is usuallyin May, which is a no go month for me.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 03:20 pm:      
Every four years I am afraid Julian.
More info on:-

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=1613709

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:27 pm:      
Sailing on the East coast this summer? See http://www.eastcoastclassics.co.uk/eastcoas.htm and click on 'Download the June 2008 Eastcoaster'and go to Forthcoming events.
I can recommend the Southwold Rally. Sharp eyes will spot 'Winkle' in the photo 'Start of the 2007 Sole Bay Race'(We beat the Drascome Lugger in the foreground!).

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 03:54 pm:      
Excellent Sole Bay Race off Southwold yesterday.Calm sea, sunshine and force 4-6. I would urge all Winklebriggers to come next year as hospitality offered by Southwold sailing club (sponsored by Adnams - the local brewery)was terrific.
Still time to join East Coast Old Gaffers for part or whole of August Classic cruise on Orwell, Stour and Deben (16-24 August).