News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Sailing Areas

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 10:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:49 pm:      
I currently sail in and from Poole Harbour. superb area for small the, shallow draft boats.

I have sailed in the Dart estuary, but it is small and you soon have to sail out into the open sea. Scary...

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:52 pm:      
Before I had the WB I sailed a Drascombe Dabber for 13 years in Clew Bay on the West Coast of Ireland. A fantastic sailing area except for the weather. Some years I could not sail at all simply because it was blowing a full gale for the whole fortnight. When it was good, it was very, very good. when it was bad...

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 03:44 pm:      
This is just a test message to see if HTML code works. The followong link should take you to a multimap image of Poole harbour Poole harbour

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:41 pm:      
Wareham, Dorset
Wareham is about4 nm up the Trent River which flows into the Wareham Channel of Poole Harbour. Twisty, narrow and lined with reeds and moorings, you you really have to motor. It takes about an hour from the open harbour. A low bridge marks the highest point, but there is free public mooring on the quayside and an excellent pub and Italian restaurant within 20 yards. Highly recommended

Old Forum

nick baker

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:54 pm:      
French sailing.
I have registered for the Semaine du Golfe in May and although there are some trailer members of the OGA coming over I don't think any are Winkle Brig owners. If I see one I will post the details and photos.
The event is held every two years and the website is http://www.semainedugolfe.asso.fr/index.php , it makes interesting reading and there are some good classic boat photos

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:30 pm:      
After a disastrous start to the season at Windermere I have just returned from Falmouth. It is my favourite sailing area and have been for a week in May for last 5 yrs. This year the weather was excellent although I did return a day earlier than planned to avoid forecasted gales. Best to quit while winning! More info and pictures on my website. In the picture which boat would you choose?

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 01:47 pm:      
hee hee!
Roger, that's a lovely picture!

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 07:34 pm:      
Today I visited Derwent Water Marina, a lovely friendly and relaxed place, to arrange onshore storage for Peggoty.It was a beautiful day, and as I walked around, I was delighted to find a parking slot next to another green Winklebrig! It turned out to be WB37, Jenyatan, belonging to Colin and Jayne Firth. And as it happened, Jayne was in the Marina office, and chatted to me for some time. So, Hello, Jayne if you are visiting the website! Thankyou for your warm welcome. It will boost my confidence knowing you are there, and lovely to perhaps have a sail together.
The Winklebrig world does seem to be a small one!

Old Forum

Jayne Firth

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 08:12 pm:      
Hi Adrian
Nice to meet you today.
The DCA website is www.dca.uk.com - you can download a membership form from there. Colin has an article in the summer (195) bulletin about 'The Launching of JenyaTan' he assures me that if you join up now you will get issue 195 but I think he is emailing you a copy of his article just in case!
We purchased our Deks Olje from NWE Paints Ltd (www.nwepaints.co.uk). I warn you, its not for the faint hearted but the end result is stunning.
Looks like we may see you and Peggoty at the weekend.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 02:49 pm:      
Peggoty had her first outing on Derwent Water on Sunday. The boys and I slept over onboard on dry land, and then my sailing friend Teresa arrived in time for a bacon butty and a cuppa on Sunday morning. A beautiful day, and the marina was busy in a very relaxed way as we launched, with lots of lovely help from onlookers. Just a gentle run over to St.Herbert's island, which the boys captured from the ducks, and a leisurely lunch on the beach.

In the picture, Peggoty is actually afloat, tied to a tree.The shallow draft of WBs was one of the things that interested me in the first place, allowing us to do exactly what the picture shows!
We were attacked by three Pirate Wayfarers, two full of very enthusiastic 10 year olds, egged on by even more enthusiastic instructors, and one with a lovely skipper and crew of a certain age, who chatted, and then donned swimming costumes and swam!
As everyone has reported, Peggoty attracted a great deal of interest, and one chap at the marina reported seeing what looked very like WBs being manufactured for sale in an American boating magazine.
The leisurely return to the marina was under the steady hand of my 5 year old.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 04:27 pm:      
Great photos!
I wonder if anyone out there can help me. I have sailed solo here on the East Anglian coast for some 6 years. After years of sailing disinterest, my wife and youngest daughter (15)said they wanted to go the Lake District next week (for a week) and could we camp/sail in the Winklebrig and do some walking!
I have never been to the Lake District, so to avoid squandering this extremely precious opportunity, could anyone who knows the area let me know what they think would be a suitable lake to base ourselves in.
I think a marina/guest house moorings (if there is such a thing) will be essential as the girls will not take kindly to washing in the lake and using the Winklebrig's 'heads'.
All suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 07:10 pm:      
Martin we have rented priory cottages Windermere a long time ago before we had the wb and we day sailed from there. They have a jetty where you could more Winkle although you would need to launch at Ferry Nab and sail round. You could park the car and trailer at the cottage so it will only cost you £10 to launch plus an annual registration fee of £10. You will also need a registartion plate for your boat. If you decide to go we can advise you on other places to visit. http://www.lakedistrictaccommodationuk.com/facilities.html

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 07:23 pm:      
Martin, thanks for your kind comment.
My reasons for choosing Derwent water were that,very loosely,its shape and orientation offer a good long reach with regard to the prevailing south westerlies, although that is perhaps of limited relevance considering local conditions in amongst the fells. I know and love Ullswater, but I thought I might be faced with a lot of hard beating to get to the southern end! Derwent also has a lot of islands to explore, all of which bar Derwent Isle, are freely accessible, easy access (J40 off the M6 and then the fast A66)and Keswick on the doorstep, with a Booths supermarket. If there is no wind, just rain, it has the Pencil Museum!
I sail from Derwent Water Marina http://www.derwentwatermarina.co.uk/
which is small, relaxed and friendly. They have both hotel and self catering accommodation, and failing that, I'm sure it would be possible to keep Winkle at the Marina, and find accommodation in Portinscale or Keswick, which are 1/4 mile and 1mile from the marina respectively.
There is also Nichol End Marine, just round the corner, but I found it rather cramped in terms of access.
If you did come up, I am planning a Friday evening to Sunday sail this weekend, and it would be lovely to meet you, and steal all your ideas off Winkle! We might even tempt Colin and Jayne Firth out?
If you do decide to come up, or would like to have a chat, I will happily email you my phone number.
I'm sure that Roger will have a good word to put in for Windermere, though! I'm keen to get over myself at some point this season, and have a good look at at all those cunning tweaks on Partan!

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 07:52 pm:      
Hi Adrian
Good to see pictures of Peggoty again as we used to sail with her when she was owned by David Boyle who has since graduated to bigger and bigger boats! Just for the record we actually live in the Midlands and only visit Windermere perhaps twice each year. Our last outing in April was a washout!
There will probably be a TSA meeting there in October when I hope to be there and probably Markie aswell.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 03:17 pm:      
Roger, thankyou. joining the TSA is definitely on my 'to do' list! There are a number of modifications you describe on Partan which sound enormously helpful. For the sake of orderliness of the forum, I intended to post some questions under the appropriate headings. Please don't feel pressured to answer them all at once! I know how time consuming t'internet can become, and I'm likely to be waiting til the winter to tackle any serious mods. Too much sailing to do before then.

Best regards.