News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Second foresail

Started by VROUW KIRSTEN, May 12, 2017, 08:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VROUW KIRSTEN

Just had a discussion regarding style, dimension and benefits of one or two foresails at the Winklebrig. I found several pictures of WB´s with two foresails. Does anyone have experiences with this and may write them down here?

Thanks a lot

Gerold
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

Martin

Hello Gerold.
At risk of being accused of 'plugging' my book! I have written a section there about this.
At the time I added a staysail, I took the opportunity of lengthening and strengthening the bowsprit and enlarging the jib. So altogether, I have more sail ahead of the mast (to help with the weather helm) and the added advantage of a more flexible and stronger  (two forestays) rig. In high winds, I furl the jib and sail with the foresail and reefed main, or in even higher winds, the  staysail and mizzen sail (another adition!).
I know you can go on forever modifying the Winklebrig (and I am probably the worst culprit!), but I think a second foresail is a valuable and easy  addition.

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello Martin,

I think your book Needs no plugging - it is excellent! ;)

Could you make a photo of the way you fixed the staysail at the boat? I am undecided if I should fix the staysail at the bow sprit or direct at the bow of the winklebrig.
I believe the bow itself would be the right place, but I am not shure which equipment would be the right, f.e. a hull plate or an eye bolt or eye plate. 

Thanks a lot for your help!

Gerold
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

Martin

Hello Gerold. Thanks for your kind words.

My foresail arrangement has developed over the years, so I am afraid my present setup has evolved into  rather a complicated arrangement, although it doesn't need to be.

If you fix further forward than the stempost  as I have done, in order to maximise the size of the foresail, you have to have a way of centralising the foot of the sail (as the bowsprit is off-centre), if you want the boat to look symetrical. My solution is best shown by photos, but as I am away from my boat at present I will post some in a couple of weeks when we are reunited again.

christanner

It's a bit of an old post, but in case it's useful for anyone - my approach to the stem fitting for an inner foresail is a little different from others. I've gone down into the cabin with a large load washer below (it's about 3" aft of the front of the cabin if you drill down where I have). I have a nav light mounted on the front of my stem which makes the fore-aft bolt unviable. This works a treat.