News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

outboard dimensions

Started by PeterC, February 25, 2022, 02:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterC

I need to replace my mariner 3.5hp 2stroke on Peggoty. I am having great difficulty in finding a new 4stroke (don't think you can buy new 2strokes) that will fit in the outboard well. I read of some with 6hp engines which I assume are likely to be bigger in fore-aft measurement than my current mariner. What am I missing?

John Burton

Before I went electric and purchased a Torqeedo, I had a 4HP Tohatsu outboard which just fitted in the well. Apparently the 6HP Tohatsu was the same engine but with a different carburettor and I believe this is the case with other makes. I think you would have to trial fit an outboard rather than relying on dimensions otherwise it could be a costly mistake. Good luck!

VROUW KIRSTEN

Hello Peter,

In 2021 I?ve bought a Tohatsu 6 PS 4-stroke together with a special, large-surface pusher propeller. We were a week on the North Sea near the East Frisian Islands and had two days up to 7 Beaufort from north / north-west with very choppy seas. The engine has in every situation, even against the wind, brought the boat the necessary thrust and ran reliably.

Regarding the shaft length pay attention to the specific installation situation with your WB!

Regards

Gerold
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!

Gerard Brown

We've had a 6hp tohatsu in the outboard well and it fitted with around 5mm to spare.
I think ours was the standard shaft but, the height of your transom is the key thing. We lowered ours and from what I've seen, not all of them are set at the same height anymore.
The Tohatsu was perfect in many ways but we swapped it for an Epropulsion which is also a great solution.
We've got some video of it on Youtube.

VROUW KIRSTEN

For inland waters I have a Torquedo Travel, but I shortened the length of the shaft and adapted it to the installation situation on my WB. For saltwater and open waters at sea, however, I definitely prefer an internal combustion engine.
Life is happy, life is sweet, on a gaff rigged boat of 16 feet!