News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Sleeping on board?

Started by Old Forum, April 13, 2014, 07:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Neville_holmes
Username: Neville_holmes

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 04:32 pm:      
Does anyone sleep while aflote in a WB?
So who has spent the longest number of consecutive nights on a WB?
Anyone sleep on 'the hook' of only in a marina?
I used to sleep on my 26' heavy yacht on the mooring with mixed success. So while looking for a WB I would like to know if sleeping while on a cruise is practical.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 08:23 pm:      
Absolutely no problem at all.
2 weeks is my maximum (on the hook, behind the car - enroute, and in marinas), but this maximum is only limited by my length of holiday.

At anchor is my preference. As Winklebrigs are so light, there is an awful lot of bumping and squeaking on a pontoon whereas with a large anchor and plenty of chain you are very secure at anchor - and the serenity of drying out in a deserted estuary in a gale is a luxury big yacht owners can only dream about!

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 08:25 pm:      
Hi Neville,

The most we have done on Markie is ten consecutive nights, six in Torquay Marina followed by four just up the road on the Grand Western Canal. Two adults and a dog, nice and cosy. We have also done seven consecutive nights whilst cruising the Caledonian Canal.
Never mind the number of consecutive nights, how about three adults, one youngster and a 12 week old baby sharing a WB for several nights!

Old Forum

Mike_seller
Username: Mike_seller

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 06:48 pm:      
Hi Neville,

Welcome to the WB world of which I am a recent owner having purchased "Heligan" a few months ago. I am currently upgrading the cabin with the view of spending as many nights aboard as possible when cruising next year. So far I have only spent a few afternoons napping down below whilst the boat sits on her trailer in my drive but found the accommodation very comfortable!

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - 10:49 pm:      
Hi Neville, I have an unmodified cabin (please advise Mike Seller of your proposed alterations!), and sleep out regularly on her, on a pontoon. Must be sheltered because I don't suffer much noise apart from the rigging of other boats,but then I do avoid very bad weather. I've also slept out several times 'on the hook' including as stay at Ridgewharfe marina, Wareham for several days.
I love it. As an ex-backpacker and camper the accommodation is commodious, dry and cosy. My boat lacks the original gas cooker, but as I have a sprayhood I simply cook using the inexpensive single burner gas cookers available everywhere, in the shelter of that. I have a boom tent but never had the need to use it.
For me, sleeping onboard is one of the Winklebrig's greatest assets, far superior to the larger Cornish Shrimper.
This is no doubt aided by a nightcap or two of Pussers Rum, or a good malt ...

Old Forum

Mike_seller

Posted on Monday, October 29, 2012 - 06:10 pm:      
Hi Neville,

My boat came with the basic cabin specification which is of course ample for most sailors. However with cruising in mind I wanted a tidy,attractive and comfortable space without being too elaborate given the size!
I've made up wooden holders from 6mm ply fixed to the bulkhead either side of the companionway to store charts,books and binoculars etc at a fraction of the price you would have to spend on the teak holders advertised by the chandlers. I have an oil lamp hanging alongside. Either side of the cabin,level with the portholes, I have made up lockers and shelves which continue down to the stem above the "V" berth with a "V" shaped locker where the two meet.
I am also making up a unit which sits between the portside quarter berth and "V" berth to house a removeable plastic sink/spirit stove with two drawers below. One for cutlery etc and the second for navigation aids,torch etc. The unit will be finished off with a removeable top to double up as a worktop or navigation table. I have made a table that can either be used inside the cabin or cockpit for meals and stored away when not required. I am currently wiring for navigation lights and power below for a berth light and sockets to use mobile phone,handheld GPS etc.

As you say the accommodation is commodious and having slept on board many different boats of all sizes the Winklebrig is up with the rest. I reckon it is down to the conditions and where you choose to drop the hook or tie up.

When finished I will offer up some photographs.

Old Forum

Mike_seller

Posted on Monday, October 29, 2012 - 07:29 pm:      
Hi David,

When my wife read the above she pointed out that I had addressed the posting to Neville and not yourself - my apologies! Either a lack of concentration, senior moment or the large Gin and T that I had poured is to blame.

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 09:34 pm:      
The G&T excuses all. Really looking forward to the pics in due course. There have been some lovely cabin modifications - to wit, Partan (WB No 48). But your sounds particularly extensive.

Good luck!

Old Forum

Paul Thomas
Username: Paul_thomas

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 11:07 am:      
Hi,
I have found the accommodation on Partan, using the boom tent, to be more than ample for two adults so long as each is a little considerate. There is plenty of stowage space and cooking is straightforward even using the single burner spirit stove, although I take an additional camping stove to use ashore for convenience. I have slept on the trailer in a layby on the way to Norfolk but confess that access is not great with the mast down and other disturbances kept me awake. The best nights have been on a mudweight close into the reedbeds on Barton Broad with a hurricane lantern hanging from the end of the boom, which incidentally helps keep bugs out of the cabin. As David says, the cabin seems luxurious after years of using a backpacking tent. Using the boom tent lets me leave the hatch open even if it is raining, which enables me to stand up to dress, the extra privacy is useful too for using the loo! Overall I would rate the WB as more comfortable than being on a large charter yacht with 6 or 7 other people. Although the altered layout restricts me to 2 adults, I can see it would be fun for young kids as well with the forward V berth in situ. My daughter is a little young to really be useful but loves being on board the WB.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 08:10 pm:      
Hi Paul
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your adventures on Partan. Cynthia and I miss her very much and I have now sold the day boat that replaced Partan and looking for a larger boat that we can leave on the Norfolk Broads.

Old Forum

Mike_seller

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 06:56 pm:      
Hello All,

Going to have a go at uploading some pictures showing improvements I have made to Heligan's cabin - here goes.

Old Forum

Mike_seller

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 08:13 pm:      
Hello again,
This not going to work - I need to find a teenager to do this for me! In the meantime I can always send the pictures via email
mikeseller@hotmail.co.uk for anybody interested.
Regards,
Mike.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 06:01 pm:      
Hi Mike, Have you modified the ribs that the pine lining planks are attached to, on Markie the ribs appear to be made of something like rolled up newspaper tubes laminated on to the hull whereas Heligan appears to have rectangular section wood? laminated to the hull, is that so? I have had to wedge a few match sticks into the screw holes as the screws easily pull out.

Old Forum

David_bone
Username: David_bone

Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 02:42 pm:      
'Heligan's" interior appears the same as mine, (WB107) a one piece moulding extending from sheer to sheer, stem to after lockers, secured by bolts at 6 inch spacing around the sheer.
Excellent for tidiness, cleanliness and eliminating condensation but what goes on behind is unknown and access to the exterior shell, challenging.

Old Forum

Mike_seller

Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 05:35 pm:      
Hello Mr Cawston and Mr Bone,

The ribs are part of the hull and appear to be a single moulding. The planks are fixed with self tappers and luckily all screws are tight. I suppose if they work loose in time the holes could be filled and re-drilled or larger screws used. Pity I could not get the other photos on the screen and at the correct size - I may ask one of the administrators to tidy up the mess I have left. On the photo you have seen the hinged lid to the worktop/nav table lifts to access the spirit stove and plastic wash bowl. The bowl lifts out to a large storage area below.

I'm off creek crawling around Salcombe next week and planning to sleep onboard.