News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Who is sailing yet?

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 10:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 08:17 pm:      
I can't take my boat to the water and make it drink until April. Is anyone else afloat yet? Does any hardy soul sail all winter? I quite enjoy the winter break, sorting out all the little changes, moving cleats 5mm one way or the other (usually back to where they were in the first place) and then looking forward to the spring boat jumbles, where I can buy even more stuff I don't really need. I finished repainting and varnishing today and the fitting a fixed boom gallows at the back (more on that later). I'm almost ready to sail again, apart from the brakes :-(

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:37 am:      
The first cruise will be the Norfolk broads at Easter. This often falls in March and can be very cold or foggy. One year we met one member who was unaware he was sailng in the wrong direction! This is a TSA organised cruise. Let us see how many Wbs we can get together. good weather guaranteed this year.
I dont cruise during the winter but fortunate to have access to my sailing club pond(35acres) and I pop down for sail on nice day and drop anchor for lunch! Useful for trying out new mods to the boat. This is picture of Sutton Sailing Club if I can manage the new system:

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:54 am:      
Well I dont cruise during the winter but I do pop down to the sailing club on nice days, anchor at top of pond and have lunch. Useful for trying out mods to boat. The first cruise is always to Norfolk Broards at Easter with TSA. It is late this year so warmer weather is almost guaranteed! Why not join us and see how many Brigs we can get together. I think we managed four one year.
This is a picture of my sailing club if I can work the technology:

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:09 pm:      
I had a lovely day out on Carrick roads in my brother's Maurice Griffiths designed 22'er, in February. He *claims* to sail all winter, but then he is in the balmiest part of the country.
I would love to catch up and see some WB's in the flesh, possibly at the Broads outing, though it is a long haul for me, or another occasion if one comes up nearer the North. Is there a date/location for the Broads? - I could not find up to date information on the TSA website.

many thanks

Adrian

Old Forum

Simon Hill

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:56 pm:      
You poor buggers - too cold and wet to sail in the winter. I can't resist a little gloat (being one POME (Prisoner Of Mother England) who escaped! Our main weather problem is it being too hot and sunny during the day in the summer - one tends to get cooked if not careful. I am going to try to post a picture of Ruwach sailing on the Pumice Stone Passage (North of Brisbane, Qld) during a classic boat regata in May last year.

Old Forum

Simon Hill

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 01:13 pm:      
Hooyagh!! It's a beautiful thing :-)
OK guys just one more to confirm this was not just a fluke. Same boat, different location - this time on the Tweed River at another regatta (where we won a plaque for 'Best dressed boat'. I'm not sure if this was due to the pirate flag or our figure head. She was a plastic doll we found floating naked with seaweed in her hair and legs akimbo which we duck taped to the stem -CLASSY! The boat was called 'Nicola Jane' but I decided that I didn't want her named after a co-dependent relationship. 'Ruwach' is Hebrew for wind and Spirit. I have probably broken all manner of superstitious nautical taboos in renaming her. Anyone know any? (Just as well I'm not superstitious - touch wood!)

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 07:03 pm:      
Pelican floats . Launched on Easter Sunday and all still seems to work. Poole Harbour busy in the beautiful weather.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 08:09 pm:      
Markie has had her first cruise of the year with the Trail Sail Association on The Norfolk Broads over Easter. Glorious sunny weather (but very cold overnight) and very favourable winds (the least motoring we have ever done on the broads).
Picture 1 is of Markie at Horsey Staithes on Friday night and picture 2 is at Barton Turf just before a barbeque on Sunday night.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:54 am:      
Simon, just to prove we sometimes get good sailing weather (even in April) in the UK here is Markie on Horsey Mere on the Norfolk Broads sailing with some of the TSA fleet. Thanks to John & Audrey Dale for the photos

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 04:48 pm:      
I've been down to Poole Harbour 4 times so far, since April 6. This picture shows Pelican dried out at low tide by Brownsea Island. I had been ashore watching the sunset, a herd of deer and a family of red squirrels whilst I had a pre-dinner beer. People ask me why I bother driving two hours each way to get there. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do it.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 08:29 pm:      
Four weeks ago we launched Partan(WB 48) on Windermere. After all that glorious dry weather the water level was so low they had been unable to launch the fixed keel boats. After one good day sailing all changed and we had three days of almost continuous rain. The water level rose 0.5metre and you can probably see this from the before and after photos! They are taken at our favourite mooring at Wray Castle Harbour on the north west side. Next week we will be at Mylor Yatch harbour next door to Falmouth...........if you happen to be cruising in that area! :Partan at Wray castle harbour

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Four weeks ago we launched Partan(WB 48) on Windermere. After all that glorious dry weather the water level was so low they had been unable to launch the fixed keel boats. After one good day sailing all changed and we had three days of almost continuous rain. The water level rose 0.5metre and you can probably see this from the before and after photos! They are taken at our favourite mooring at Wray Castle Harbour on the north west side. Next week we will be at Mylor Yatch harbour next door to Falmouth...........if you happen to be cruising in that area! :Partan at Wray castle harbour

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 04:44 pm:      
Partan is visiting Derwent Water this week (20-23 August) and on Friday 24 August is moving to Windermere to be joined by Markie. We are launching and overnighting at Fell Foot on the Friday before heading up to Waterhead where we might spend Saturday night up the Brathay. Markie will be pulled out at Fell Foot on Monday afternoon but Partan may stay a day or two longer. The National Trust at Fell Foot are charging £45 in total for 3 nights on the jetty (even if we only spend 2 of the 3 nights on the jetty it is a good package deal), launching/recovery and parking, not bad. Anyone else visiting the Lake District this Bank Holiday?

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:08 pm:      
David, Roger - I will be returning Peggoty to Derwent water at some point, but unlikely to be sailing. The forecast for the remaining time up here (still on Gigha- 4 wonderful weeks so far- stuff the diy I was supposed to be doing!) is so good that I will stay as long as possible. might be around to say hello Saturday night / Sunday morning. I would be happy to exchange mobile phone numbers by email for contact.
adriankevans(at)yahoo.co.uk