News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Matching hull colour

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 09:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Paul Thomas
Username: Paul_thomas

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 03:48 pm:      
A helpful passer by has informed me that the blue colour of Partan's hull is a British Standard colour, and that as such I should be able to get paint to match it. As there are a few scratches and quite a few blemishes in the gel coat I was considering repainting the whole hull, but some matching paint would allow me to merely touch it up a bit where necessary. Does anyone know about such things? I have found numerous colour charts on www but they all have different numbers and names. I would like to know what colour/number to ask for. I imagine this info would be of interest to most owners.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 06:47 am:      
I am in the same position with Winkle's hull. Anyone know the green colour?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 09:49 am:      
I suspect the chances of matching an old gel coat colour with a new paint would be vanishingly small. Patching gel coat with paint has never looked satisfactory in my experience. The Winkle Brig is quite a small boat and I used to paint mine with a single tin of International Toplac Donegal green. If you buy a tin to touch up, you will have enough to repaint the whole hull. Admittedly you will need a tin of undercoat as well, but I found three coats worked fine, first coat grey primer, second coat half and half grey primer and Donegal green, final coat just Donegal green. The original burnt orange colour never showed through except where I got a few scrapes.