News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Major Refurb

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Brian Kirkland
Username: Brian_kirkland

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 09:25 pm:      
Hi David, good thoughts there. Good ideas about the portholes which frankly are a pain to remove. I was planning the "full treatment" ie D1 saturation followed by several coats of D2. I am intrigued by the D1-only method for I thought it was necessary to apply D2, that D1 would quickly disappear when exposed to weather and it required the D2 finish. And I thought I knew what I was going to do ...

Old Forum

Pam Freeman
Username: Pam_freeman

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 09:02 am:      
Hi Brian, David had me thinking over things and remembering what was best when using DO1, especially for the first time with all the coats involved, was that I well and truly used more than the 1 litre can when working on totally bare or well-sanded wood. I can't remember using more than 2 litres so my apologies for not being very helpful on that score.
Point taken re the chandlers; it's such a darn shame ref the delivery. I'll talk to the fairies at the bottom of the garden and see if they might whisk some DO to you by tomorrow morning!
I am very grateful to you for your pointer re the winch strap on the trailer and reference to the "air drying". Your comments added to those I've gleaned elsewhere on the Forum have certainly helped me re getting the best for the trailer over winter. Thank you.
All best wishes, Pam

Old Forum

Brian Kirkland

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 07:10 pm:      
Hi Pam - your faeries worked! I now have two litres of D1, and a promise from the NI chandler to deliver future chandlery at modest cost from him up to my north corner. So it was worth the drive. He too, like David, suggested D1 alone. Well it seems the weather this year has closed for any application of D2 - it's just too wet, but that means I can get lots of the saturation done, and D2 in the springtime.

Old Forum

Pam Freeman
Username: Pam_freeman

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 01:14 pm:      
Hi Brian,
Brilliant news! I don't suppose the Northern Ireland fairies happen to know the lottery numbers - for Euromillions or National tomorrow (I'm not proud... either will do!)...
I'm glad your chandler chap was able to help re application of just the D1. We'll compare photos here in Forum come the Spring!
All the best, Pam

Old Forum

Brian Kirkland

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 08:15 pm:      
Oh gosh - photos! I'll have to get the Farecla on the hull before then!! So much to do!! Thanks for everyone's help and advice in this forum - proves that Winkle Brigs are sociable boats that choose sociable owners!

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:04 am:      
Yes we are sociable owners that just love sailing a pretty boat. We are not interested in having the fastest boat on the water, just gently cruising around and relaxing. Leave all that testosterone for the round the buoys racers. Mind you when two WBs are sailing together, you can see the horns grow, fine tuning of the sheets, playing with the bilge plates for optimum performance, anything to outsail the other WB! :-)