News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Help Help!!- Rudder and its Fittings

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 09:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 10:04 am:      
Unbelievable as it may sound, I've had my Rudder, Tiller and Top Hanger stolen from my boat which was on a swinging mooring.

Does anyone know where I can get replacements, or the measurements of the items so I can get new bits made?

Thanks,

George

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 04:17 pm:      
Were the metal bits the earlier style cast bronze or the later fabricated stainless steel? Also was the rudder GRP or plywood? With a number 58 I guess you had bronze & GRP.
Could the rudder have been ripped off by a passing boat or pulled off by some 'little darlings', if so it could be lying on the bottom nearby (possibly a challenge for local amateur divers?).

Old Forum

George Billington

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 07:10 pm:      
It was GRP and Bronze - and I'd spent ages polishing the bronze, and painting the rudder! It looked like it had just come out of the Yard.

Unlikely to have come off by a passing boat - I've 15ft of water under the boat at present, and it's only 100 ft from the shore. Most likely some 'little darlings' have taken it off. Goodness knows why. The top transom fitting had been unscrewed, and each bolt had a locknut on it, and the line lashing the tiller to keep it still had been cut. On the positive side, I've made contact with Eric Bergqvist, who still has the Patterns, so at least a new one, albeit in Ply, can be made, and most of the fittings are available 'over the counter'. It'll take a while to get it sorted, but if anyone has a spare - I'm in the market!

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 07:48 pm:      
I have the original heavy rudder in blue GRP but the fittings were used to hang a replacement and lighter ply/epoxy rudder. I am north of birmingham if any help,

Old Forum

George Billington

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 11:38 am:      
You may have the answer Roger - I can get the replacement fittings made in stainless, so weight is not a problem - nor is the colour. If you let me have a contact phone number - send it to my e-mail - georgebillington@btinternet.com - and I will ring you - I live on the Wirral, so travel is not a problem.

Old Forum

David_bone
Username: David_bone

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 08:42 pm:      
Last year, whilst running before a stiff breeze with moderate following sea, not paying proper attention, I strayed off course, heeled over, the shallow rudder was ineffective and I broached to, shipping a fair bit of water before rounding up into the wind.
This winter, I fabricated a rudder to the same pattern as original but with a 6mm stainless drop plate.
In similar circumstances, I have found the rudder significantly more effective.