News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Mooring Lines and Other Ideas

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 07:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:58 am:      
I was just thinking about ideas I have nicked from others and this was a particularly good one.

I have two large horn cleats fitted either side of the cabin bulkhead, which I had seen on another WB as a way of quickly tying on a dinghy. What I then did was to fit two permanent bow mooring lines, one each side. Each has a loop going over a cleat on the fore deck, then out through a bow fairlead and back outside all the shrouds to be belayed to one of these cleats, with a long loose end. When I come alongside, I just step out holding the appropriate loose end and I have got immediate control of the boat by pulling it in from amidships. No problems with the stern swinging out as can happen with just a bow line. I often also use this midships line as the final brake when coming alongside a pontoon. I drop it (if I'm lucky) over the cleat at the end of the pontoon and use it to brake the speed of the boat (usually with the aid of a mumbled prayer to the god-of-single-handed-sailors. )For a short stop, this single line is all you need, it holds a small boat like a WB neatly against a pontoon or another boat. For a longer stop I tie on a stern line and then uncleat the bow line from the midships cleat and use it as a conventional bow mooring line. It works a treat.
Another unexpected benefit was when my engine wouldn't start just outside the entrance to Poole Harbour (anyone who has sailed there will know that this is NOT a good thing). There was a Harbour Masters rib just there, and I only had to uncleat my midship line and pass it to him and he towed me into safety. No going forward to rig a tow line or anything scary like that. The photo should just about show the lines and cleats in place