News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Spray hoods

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 07:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 01:57 pm:      
In anticipation of another summer like the last one, I am thinking of having a spray hood fitted.
I note that Andy Dalby has one on Mudklark which looks very good. If you read this Andy, could you let me know who made this for you? Can you sail with it up? (ie Does it foul the boom?). Do you find the window necessary or can you look over the top? If Andy does not read this, has anyone else any knowledge of sprayhoods on Winklebrigs?

Old Forum

Andy Dalby

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 06:32 pm:      
Hi Martin, You can sail with it up ,but it's best for motoring, it keeps you warm. You do need the windscreen to see really. Downwind it makes a good spinnaker.
We leave it up most of the time because of the protection to the hatchway etc. It goes down in a second with a strap either side.
It was made by Steven Ratsey,http://www.ratseys.co.uk/default.asp

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 06:34 pm:      
Martin I was interested in fitting a spray hood and Andy gave me this contact. However I emailed them twice and received no response! The company is Steven Ratsey.
http://www.ratseys.co.uk/default.asp

Old Forum

Andy Dalby

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 06:53 pm:      
Martin, another thought. If Ratseys aren't bothered any more, type 'Sprayhood Kits' into Google and you get quite a few links. If you're on the East Coast, Jeckells Trimmers in Wroxham will make you one I'm sure.
http://www.jeckells.net/
Talk to Andrew, he's made us a cockpit cover and a sail cover.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 09:03 pm:      
Thanks Roger and Andy.Most helpful. I will enquire next weeek.

Old Forum

martin cartwright

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:12 pm:      
No luck with Ratseys. They wanted me to take the boat over to Milford Haven for a fitting! I will try Jeckells but anticipate they will be quite pricey. I have found sprayhood kits on the web:- www.martexmarine.com/sprayhood_kits.htm.
These seem cheap to me. Anyone any thoughts?

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 01:36 pm:      
Martin have looked at the link you provided and puzzled as to how the hood folds down! Quality looks ok but would not consider it cheap. How much would you expect to pay?

Old Forum

Martin cartwright

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 06:02 pm:      
Yes I agree. I don't think it can fold down!
I obtained a price last Summer from someone in Ipswich for about £600 which was more than I wanted to pay. I think I will give Jeckells a try when the boat/trailer is de-winterised.(Perhaps on the way up to the Easter cruise).

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 05:42 pm:      
Martin, if you can find a supplier see if you can negotiate a discount for two or maybe there are other WB owners interested!

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 08:41 pm:      
I'll have a go! If anyone else is interested post a message here. I will be calling in on Jeckells at Easter.

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:57 am:      
I emailed Ratsey's 17th April 2008 and got a phone call back on the 20th April from their man Ben Moseley. He said that he may have a pattern for the hood but has definitely not kept the frame pattern (very short sighted of them I think).
They would have to measure up a boat. A long trip from my home in Sheffield!
He quoted me an approximate price of £650 which I think might come cheaper if a number of hoods were required.
My wife however commented that we need to do a bit more sailing to be sure that we are happy with the boat before shelling out that kind of money. Anyone got a WB near Milford Haven for them to measure? Even so I would be interested in Martin's results with Jeckells during Easter.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 04:46 pm:      
I am afraid Jeckells price for a one off was £680 plus VAT and £610 plus Vat for two or more.Even with a lot of sailing, I tend to agree with your wife.