News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Cockpit Seats

Started by Old Forum, April 08, 2014, 06:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 08:45 pm:      
I have nearly finished the thankless task of stripping many layers of peeling paint off my cockpit seats. Any views on the best way of re-covering them?

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 08:40 pm:      
I fitted removable wooden panels to my cockpit seats as seen on pics on my website. I was never happy with them as debris got trapped underneath and they raised the sitting level by about an inch. Does not sound much but sitting higher gave feeling of insecurity. Before replacing these this year I considered "plastic teak' as reported in PBO. These stick down panels would have cost between £200-250 and I was not sure they would look right. I have now fitted wooden seats made from tongued and grooved boarding glued with polyurethane and then cut to shape. The grooves were routed to provide a 5x5mm seam then filled with black silicone sealant. They are then stuck to the fibreglass with poly adhesive. I am pleased with the appearance and they are warmer to sit on.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:53 pm:      
Roger, those do look very well indeed.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:48 am:      
Roger. I think you have done a lovely job. Do you mind if I copy? What timber type and thickness did you use?

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 09:00 pm:      
Martin, I used 12mm x 85mm cedar wood tongued & gooved boarding. Cedar is right colour durable lightweight no knots but unfortunately is soft. If you coat with epoxy to protect you will need to sand the surface lightly or they will be too slippery. Admittedly I have not epoxied the new seats only woodstained them. I have to insist that only deckshoes are worn on board!
But use whatever is available.

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 09:42 pm:      
Many thanks.

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 05:18 pm:      
Roger
I too considered the immitation teak deck seats called Tek Dek but they are too pricey and messy to fit.I was impressed by the look of what you have recently fitted to Partan.( I thought your previuos seats which I think were fitted when we saw you at Fell Foot in 2005 looked good too)
Having a fair amount of 8mm Maranti (I think) T&G left over from my conservatory, I have started to make some seats similar to your new ones. I hope you don't mind me copying too.
Two queries, is the black silicone the same as may be puchased from tile shops, and where can poly adhesive be obtained?
I've taken the view that the 8mm as opposed to the 12mm boards doesn't matter as they are totally supported by the deck. I will cope with the fact that they wiil wear thro 33% sooner than yours will (assuming the same amount of traaffic!)

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 07:45 pm:      
No problem David. Meranti will be better than cedar wood being much harder. The polyurethane glue(in a tube to be applied by gun) came from Srewfix and I think they also sell the black silicone sealant. If you are leaving the boat on a mooring it may pay to go for the very expensive Sikaflex. The key is obviously to prevent water getting underneath.

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 08:11 pm:      
Thanks Roger for the info.
I've found the sealant and glue on the Screwfix website.The seats are progressing, and will certainly be an improvement on the previous owners idea of comfort- glued on half inch thick sponge rubber carpet underlay which looked ugly and retained water for up to an hour after the rain had stopped! It took alot of petrol and scaping to get it off!