News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Anyone know a good boat repairer near...

Started by Old Forum, April 07, 2014, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva
Username: Vipula_de_silva

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 09:20 am:      
Hello all

Unfortunately our plans to spend the bank holiday sailing the norfork broads were scuppered by a small disagreement with the boom jaws.

Can anyone recommend a good repairer near Norwich?

Vip

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 06:47 pm:      
Bad luck! You are not alone. This is a very common problem with Winklebrigs.
Any one of the sailing boat yards would help you replace like with like, but personally I would replace the wooden jaws with a bronze set from Classic Marine.
http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/boatstore/prodtype.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=133&num RecordPosition=1
Expensive, but you can be sure it won't ever happen again and dead easy to fit yourself.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 06:47 pm:      
Bad luck! You are not alone. This is a very common problem with Winklebrigs.
Any one of the sailing boat yards would help you replace like with like, but personally I would replace the wooden jaws with a bronze set from Classic Marine.
http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/boatstore/prodtype.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=133&num RecordPosition=1
Expensive, but you can be sure it won't ever happen again and dead easy to fit yourself.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 07:15 pm:      
And the same thing happened to me in the early days of owning Markie. Fortunately I was able to get another pair of jaws from Eric. But as that is no longer possible, I would agree with Tim and it is amazing how strong epoxy repairs can be.

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva
Username: Vipula_de_silva

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 09:47 pm:      
Thanks gents - particularly appreciate the offer Tim.

I quite like the look of the wooden jaws, and so I've asked a local boat builder to make me a new one to match. I have heard that epoxy repairs are very strong but it's early days in our relationship with this boat and I feel we owe her a new set. Particularly as it was my foolishness that led to the mishap!

Hopefully it will look as good as new.

Thanks again.

Vip

Old Forum

Geoffrey Osborn
Username: Geoffrey_osborn

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 04:45 pm:      
Bad Luck Vip. I had a similar mishap with the boom jaws on Calidris a few years ago. I repaired with epoxy an it's been fine for years now. The breakage was caused by myself. I had topped up the boom quite high while on a run. Once the main was down I sheeted in and - crack - the jaws caught on those boom jaw rests. If you like woodwork replace the two boom supports at the lower part of the mast with a ring, or annular support. Other wise do not sheet in when the boom jaws are resting on their supports.