News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

What stops the mast falling back down?

Started by Old Forum, April 07, 2014, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva
Username: Vipula_de_silva

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 03:50 pm:      
Hello all

Been playing with WB64 and getting to understand the rigging while she is safely on a trailer.

I think I have the basics of it clear, but I noticed that once I push the mast up, the only thing that holds it there is the forestay with it's roller furling jib. This in turn is held in place by the jib halliard running through the starboard triple block and cleated on the coach roof.

So if this rope was to break or the block attachments fail, the mast would fall backwards.

Am I missing some other way of holding the mast vertical?

Vip

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 03:50 pm:      
Hello all

Been playing with WB64 and getting to understand the rigging while she is safely on a trailer.

I think I have the basics of it clear, but I noticed that once I push the mast up, the only thing that holds it there is the forestay with it's roller furling jib. This in turn is held in place by the jib halliard running through the starboard triple block and cleated on the coach roof.

So if this rope was to break or the block attachments fail, the mast would fall backwards.

Am I missing some other way of holding the mast vertical?

Vip

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 10:01 pm:      
Thanks Roger.

I just wanted reassurance that I wasn't missing something obvious. I have been looking at the boats with an inner forestay to the stem head, and I really do like the look of a cutter rig. Something to think about for the future I guess.

Vip

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 10:01 pm:      
Thanks Roger.

I just wanted reassurance that I wasn't missing something obvious. I have been looking at the boats with an inner forestay to the stem head, and I really do like the look of a cutter rig. Something to think about for the future I guess.

Vip

Old Forum

Paul Thomas
Username: Paul_thomas

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 08:29 pm:      
Hi Vip,

A little bit slow responding, but I had the same concern, I used a short piece of chain with a shackle on one end and a snap hook on the other, fitted in the way Roger describes, but much quicker to deploy. This takes the tension off the forestay halliard and off your mind when you have to remember which bit of string is which when lowering the main.