News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Boat cover

Started by Sam, July 22, 2020, 08:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Has anyone had a boat cover made and can recommend a supplier? This is for winter storage on land. I will need to keep the mast, gaff and bowsprit with the boat - horizontally as when towing. Many thanks, Sam

dave_cawston

For winter I have a simple heavy duty rectangular tarpaulin with plenty of eyelets, nothing fancy, which was made up by my local lorry tarpaulin manufacturer.  Sorry cannot remember the size.  He also made a copy of the summer tailored cover which is nice and streamlined for towing.  Just Google for your local tarpaulin supplier/manufacturer.

Sam

Thanks for the advice, Dave. I will give that a go.

Pat Arnold

Hello Dave,
Could you let me know the name of the cover manufacturer you used.  I am in Norfolk (too?).
Pat Arnold

dave_cawston

Hi Pat,

http://www.tomhughestarpaulins.co.uk/index.html

As you can see from their website they are based in North Shields.  To make a tailored/shaped cover, they need the original as a pattern, but not for rectangular/square etc..  A long long way from Norfolk (lost count of the number of times we have done that A1, A17, A47 journey to the Broads).

Pat Arnold

Many thanks, Dave.  Have found one near Fakenham.  What material have you used?  Canvas or PVC?

dave_cawston

Reinforced PVC.  I believe PVC lasts a lot longer than canvas, it does not rot but over time loses its elasticity, certainly in the case of my 20+ year old streamlined pvc cover.  But it still does the job.  Canvas will absorb moisture and rot unless kept very clean and waterproofed.

Pat Arnold

Good intel.  Many thanks.