News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Gunwales

Started by GrassBuzzard, March 02, 2019, 01:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrassBuzzard

I am looking to replace the oval strip that is fixed to top of gunwales on my Winklebrig. If not then the entire gunwales. Has any member done this before? Any help would be appreciated...
GB

dave_cawston

Hi GB, do you mean the bulwarks, if so the top oval section is very securely glued in place, apart from the joint by the porthole where it is just pinned in place on the overlap.  The glue used must be a proper waterproof wood glue which is stronger than the wood itself because a broads dayboat attempted to remove a bulwark on Markie but just managed to separate 20cm of the oval section from the flat board with a sliver of the flat board remaining glued to the oval section.  Why is a repair/renewal necessary?

GrassBuzzard

Hi Dave, Yes I damaged the strip when I removed the gunwale. The porthole was very difficult to remove, and when it freed, although everything was supported the entire panel fell, breaking the strip.
I have some rot around fixing holes, but will now use filler, and refit (glue) the strip. You're right, the glue is actually stronger than the wood!
Thanks for your response...
Regards
GB

dave_cawston