News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Screwed or bolted?

Started by Clint, June 21, 2014, 04:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint

I have just removed these prior to stripping and refurbishing, are they supposed to be screwed and glued, just screwed, or bolted on, they were both very loose, the holes for the screws also go straight through the boom, is this correct?

Thanks

Clint

Mike Seller

The jaw on my boom has been screwed onto the boom. I doubt if glue was added because this would hinder removal should ever the jaw need replacing ie from splinting. The screw heads on mine are quite large so maybe along with the depth of screw, each side meets, hence the drilled hole through the boom. Providing the existing screws retighten on replacing the jaw all should be well but I see no reason why suitable bolts/nuts cannot be used if the jaw is still loose using screws. Another solution would be to fill the holes with a suitable filler and then re drill using the existing screws. Hope this helps with your ongoing project.

Mike.

Clint

Thanks for the advice, the reason why l asked if the jaw was glued on is because when l removed them, small pieces of wood came off. Thinking about it, it may just have been varnish that had seeped between the gaps.

Clint

Another question about the boom, where the jaws wrap onto the mast, there are 2 supports (boom jaw rests? - l have no idea what they are called.) These are rotten and need replacing, l have tried making new ones, but it is proving quite difficult to get the exact shape. Is it possible to by these new. I am open to all advice and ideas. ( l even thought about decorative ropework)

Clint.

Mike Seller

I think in the bygone days of sail they were called "stops" however in the 21st century "Jaw supports" is just as  good. Ideally replacements should be made using a hardwood. A rough shape can be achieved by taking a block of wood and cutting it down with a saw to the shape required and then rounding the edges with a file and sandpaper. They don't have to be exact copies!

Hardwood such as mahogany, teak or oak is of course expensive and these days you would have to buy more than needed. If you cannot source a small piece from say offcuts or even old furniture why not go down to B&Q and buy just one hardwood baluster and have another go. I  think decorative ropework will just slip down with the forces placed on it by the jaw however hard you try to get the rope to stay put ie screws/glue.

Mike.

Clint

Thanks for the advice, I managed to find a lump of solid meranti in the woodpile, tried my hand at it again, and came up with this. Not bad for a first attempt.

Mike Seller

I agree - an excellent job done. Thanks for taking the trouble to share the photo's. Hope your refit proceeds without too many more headaches along the way!

Mike.