News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Main sheet configuration

Started by Old Forum, April 07, 2014, 08:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 08:47 pm:      
I dont think anybody has raised the question of the best mainsheet configuration to use on the brig. It is easy to try out many variations so what do you all think is the best arrangement? I moved away from the centre point fixing because when sheeting in hard to flatten the sail it pulls the boom too close to the centre of the boat. Not good for a gaff rig.
The answer to this is to use a rope horse as a traveller which costs nothing , use a metal horse or a dinghy type sliding track. The rope has the advantage of absorbing some energy in a violent gybe. But what about the dayboat arrangement? Why was this a different design in the first place? I have used this arrangement for some time and as the mainsheet block is fixed at one corner gybing is a much more relaxed manouver.(If you find the sheeting point strange on one side then a two ended sheet can be used as often found on traditional craft). This arrangement is also better in light airs when the boom cant decide which side to sit and the mainsheet block keeps crashing from side to side! What is your experience?

Old Forum

David_bone
Username: David_bone

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 09:10 am:      
This winter, I installed a 5/8" dia. stainless steel horse across the stern, just forward of the gallows, mounted with angled plates on the outside of the bulwarks. (Classic Marine)
Last week, I gave it a good test and so far am well pleased.
Though I can't claim any speed increase, we did see off a Norfolk Gypsy and another larger boat, which I normally, wouldn't achieve.
Certainly, the sail acquired a much better shape and I probably sailed better close hauled, by not being able to pull the boom in too close.
I also prefer, that I am now always facing the mainsheet lead and cam block.