News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Hello - from some soon to be new owners

Started by Old Forum, April 13, 2014, 07:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva
Username: Vipula_de_silva

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 10:20 pm:      
Hello!

After looking out for a winkle brig for more than a year now - and missing a couple to other buyers - it looks like we are just about to take ownership of one of the 122. If the money moves as it should, we plan to be trailering her from the lakes to Norfolk next week.

First time we've trailered anything so looking forward to the adventure. After that will come the challenge of figuring out the rigging of our first gaffer.

Anyway, we wanted to introduce ourselves and to say thanks (especially to Julian) for all the great information on this forum. I suspect we will be asking the odd question ourselves soon enough.

Vip & Collette

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 07:19 pm:      
Congratulations! You have a lifetime of fun ahead.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 01:11 pm:      
Trailing to Norfolk, does that mean we will see another WB on the Broads next Easter? Markie is getting lonely, missing Partan!

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 05:17 pm:      
Thanks Martin and Hi David

Yes, Annie Elizabeth will be spending most of her time in Norfolk and out on the broads as much as work and weather allows. Looks like the big move will be next week now - feeling very impatient.

Vip

Old Forum

Phil Shimmin
Username: Philshimmin

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:49 am:      
Hi Vip, Martin and I can sometimes be found in the Southern broads.Where do you intend to make your base?

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 05:35 pm:      
Hi Phil

We plan to leave the boat on the trailer in Cringleford, a few miles south of Norwich. Hopefully we can explore most of the broads in due course, but will be starting out on the Southern section as we have sailed there before. Researching slipways and launching sites right now.

Where are you based?

Vip

Old Forum

Phil Shimmin
Username: Philshimmin

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 09:15 pm:      
Not Far from the famed locks pub at Geldeston..however a great free launching site is at Nicholas Everit park, Oulton broad, as long as you have someone to take the car and trailer away (grandsons are useful here)

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 08:20 pm:      
Thanks Phil - found those on google maps. Oulton broad is a little far for where I'm going to be based - though it might work when we have the whole week on the water.

I don't really mind paying a reasonable sum for launching to be honest - particularly if the cash is going to a reliable boat yard. I guess I'll be doing a lot of exploring later on this month.

Vip

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 07:35 am:      
Picked up Annie Elizabeth from Ullswater marine in the lake district yesterday and after a long day of 9 hours driving, she is happily parked up in her new home near Norwich.

I must thank Mr Grundy of Ullswater marine. We are novice boat buyers and first time boat trailers - he made the whole process very straightforward.

Looking forward to a relaxed day of playing with bits of rope and taking a few photos.

Vip

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 06:20 pm:      
Plenty of ropes to play with on a WB. Our very first launch with Markie, back in 1987, was on Ullswater from the free slipway on the east shore at Howtown. Markie was brand new, never been rigged (we did not have a dry run at home). It took us 4 hours to rig and launch! People were launching, going out for a few hours, returning, pulling out and we were still there, trying to interpret Eric's rigging drawings. Never having sailed a gaff rigger before added to the confusion. After 24 years of ownership and a few mods, things are a little quicker!

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 09:57 pm:      
Ullswater certainly looked gorgeous. Unfortunately we didn't have the time to take a few days there and try the boat out.

Spent a good few hours today getting the hang of the rigging - on the safety of the trailer, though to the amusement of a lot of neighbours.

Also took the opportunity to give her a bit of a clean in preparation for the water in a couple of weeks time.

Vip

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 12:34 am:      
We'll be sorry to lose our Ullswater neighbour - Annie Elisabeth was moored right behind Peggoty - but good luck, and enjoy your sailing Vip!

Adrian

Old Forum

Vipula De Silva

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 07:09 pm:      
Thanks Adrian

We saw Peggoty while we were picking Annie Elizabeth up. Shame we had to separate the pair.

I have a photo form the forums that you took of the two boats together. If you have any others of Annie Elizabeth I would be really chuffed to see them.

Vip