News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Storage

Started by Old Forum, April 12, 2014, 02:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 08:45 pm:      
I'm going to ask an irrelevant question in pure sailing terms, but one I'm interested in. What do people do about storage? I'm aware of the room under the seats, and I'm already adept at stuffing things down the commodious quarter berths. But I am thinking of whether I can make better use of the wooden strakes(?), not so much in terms of wooden fittings, but maybe canvas/stiff cloth with pockets that can be attached to them, thus keeping stuff readily available, but not taking much room. Books, crockery, mobile phones, half bottles of rum, handheld VHF etc. The model I have in mind is the kind of thing one sometimes sees draped behind the front seats of a car, full of stuff to keep the kids quiet. That sort of thing.
I realise I have now exhausted my newbie's dispensation to ask naff questions, but I'm sleeping onboard at least once a week, and the mind tends to wander ... :-)

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 09:14 am:      
I had a net bag (from Lidls I think) which was just what you describe, a "car boot organiser" I hung it from four hooks alongside the vee berth. Very useful it was too, even though awkward shaped things always got caught in the mesh. I still have it somewhere in case of future need.

Old Forum

George Billington
Username: George_billington

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 09:35 pm:      
Hi David,

I found some bags with a variety of pockets and netting pockets in a Garden Centre. They are well made, rotproof and waterproof, about 18ins, wide, 24ins tall. They had three eyelets in the top. They can be cut in two, and eyelets punched in the bottom. Also found them in Aldi some time later! Cost less of course!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 09:29 am:      
I find that lack of adequate storage in or near the cockpit area to be the biggest drawback, (partly because I use one of the rear lockers exclusively for fuel/gas ect). As the quarterberths are so long I had thought about sealing off the last couple of feet and cutting an access panel in the side of the cockpit.Has anyone done this?

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 12:38 am:      
I'm now pretty happy with the storage arrangements for Peggoty. I have a water carrier that fits in the lazarette, and three large plastic boxes, one for food and drink down the bottom of each quarter berth, and a third with pans, plates crocks and cutlery in the space where the potty used to be. (I'm not a fan of the chemical loo). My primus kettle and tea making mashins live in the cooker recess, I use the other under cushion recess with icepacks in it as a fridge. The most helpful thing of all has been to rig up a large stowage net over the v berth. I have a heavy cord laced through the net on both sides, hooked onto hooks on the top stringer, and shock cord across the front of the net, which hooks onto onto hooks under the large shelf that runs across the vberth. It takes just about all our kit bags, life jackets, sleeping bags etc, and still allows you room to get your legs underneath. I'm sure it would be possible to make a tidier job with a little more patience.
{stowage net}