News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

New to WB'S

Started by Old Forum, April 12, 2014, 12:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Kate Clarkson
Username: Kate_clarkson

Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 04:06 pm:      
Just like to introduce ourselves. Our names are Paul & Kate Clarkson and we're now the proud owners of WB 69 (Jenny Wren).
A lovely boat and we can't wait to sail her.
Would be grateful for any useful tips!.
Regards
Kate & Paul

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 03:36 pm:      
Congratulations on your purchase!

Tip:- I feel that the Winklebrig, like all yachts is a motor-sailer. The happiest sailors are those who enjoy motoring and sailing and everything in between.The unhappiest are those who hate motoring or are afraid of sailing, or ashamed of motor-sailing.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 07:29 pm:      
Hi Paul & Kate,
Just accept the fact almost anything else sails faster upwind, we joke about being overtaken by Optimists, but enjoy those admiring looks and comments you will get from other people. And as Martin has said, enjoy your sailing and use the 'iron topsail' when necessary for an easy life. One tip, take things slowly until you are confident with raising/lowering the mast/sails as there are lots of ropes etc. to get snagged and boom/gaff jaws to get trapped especially when lowering the mast. And think about joining the Trail Sail Association, as there are several WBs in the TSA. Dave & Cate

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:01 pm:      
Hi, Congratulations and welcome! One of the best pieces of advice I got as a new owner, can't remember exactly who from, was to treat the trailer as an integral part of the boat, learn to love it and tinkering with it, rather than getting into the frame of mind where its a necessary inconvenience.
Whereabouts are you?
Best wishes
Adrian

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 06:54 pm:      
Hi Paul and Kate and welcome aboard. I would endorse Adrians view about the importance of the trailer. An easy trail, launch and recovery is essential to enjoying trailer sailing. The two improvements which brought most benefit for me was upgrading the suspension units to 1300Kgs capacity and having the correct tyres to carry the load. Stability when towing was greatly improved. The second modification was the fitting of a second winch to wind the boat off the trailer, essential on shallow slips. You can submerge the rear wheels of the car and float the boat off!
Roger and Cynthia ("Partan" Wb48)

Old Forum

Kate Clarkson
Username: Kate_clarkson

Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 09:37 pm:      
Thank you all & all the useful tips, which we will take on board.
The boat is moored on Windermere, opposite the ferry nab near bell island, which is a lovely spot.
Just one question, at the moment the boat doesn't have roller reef rigging which we would like to do. Has anyone any suggestion which one would be suitable?
Thanks
Kate & Paul

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 07:14 pm:      
Have a look in 'The rig' thread, then 'Reefing Systems'. It is the Holt system you will find easiest to get.
David