News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Cookers

Started by Old Forum, April 11, 2014, 11:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 08:33 pm:      
I think we have spoken about this before, but I can't find it on the site to continue the thread. Sorry.
Anyway, my original 'Epitwin' gave up recently and I could not find an equivalent cooker to fit the recess under the port quarter berth.I do not cook inside anyway, so I bought a cheap portable single burner 'Brightspark'(does anyone actually ever use two burners?).
By shear good luck, I have discovered that the carry case fits upright exactly underneath the step down into the cabin. I have modified the step slightly to retain both it and the cooker in position and I am able to use the Epitwin recess for storage.
This might not work for everyone, especially the two burner cordon bleu brigade, but I think it will suit me. Will let you know after I have lived on board for a week in May.I can post photos of the step modification if anyone is interested.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 03:51 pm:      
Anyone with a portable gas stove might like to look at this page http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:s tock-features&catid=19:features&Itemid=27

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 09:34 pm:      
Thanks Dave. This is exactly the type that I have!!!

The warning about the consequences of trying to cook with the support tray upside down is probably worthwhile (as some people have clearly tried it). I have to say though that the headline 'Don't use dangerous portable gas stoves on boats' is somewhat OTT as in this case the cookers are not inherently dangerous - just the people who use them.
I have to say I find it hard to imagine how anyone could think it was correct to assemble and use the pan support upside down!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 10:22 am:      
I agree with Martin that this warning is way over the top. These low profile cookers are far safer than tall camping gaz types, which fall over and spill boiling liquids. I also think they are safer than most plumbed in gas systems because you don't have all of the pipes, joints, stop cocks etc.which are all potential weak points. If you are really concerned that you might not be able to assemble one you can get slightly posher ones which have the pan supports fixed in, but they don't hold the kettle so securely. Regarding storage, I just take the canister out and store it in a cockpit halyard bag when I'm not cooking. A stove with no cannister is no risk. Once there is any doubt about the integrity of the stove or cylinder seal, ditch the stove and buy a new one. They only cost about £15.
PS I don't think a twin burner is any advantage on a small boat, you can cook well enough on one.