News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Adrian's new boat

Started by Old Forum, April 11, 2014, 11:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:59 am:      
Thought this project might entertain you. The conversion took about 15 hours, once I had gathered together all the materials and components. I hasten to add that this is IN ADDITION to Peggoty. She is called Fangle. The sharp eyed of you will recognise the donor boat, no doubt, and be horrified. It really was an old nail, and the original components are untouched.
Fangle was designed with all sorts of mucking around in mind, including erecting a small tent on the deck for summer camping, picnic cruising, fishing and lobster potting. And before you laugh too much, she will cruise at 5knots, and sprint at 8+ knots!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:38 pm:      
Adrian, I took the liberty of resizing your picture as it was making my web browser turn up its toes and die. Hope you don't mind!

Have you seen the Winsome pedal Launch?
http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/content/view/94/30/

Both seem a very pleasant way of lolling about, particularly if you can kid your partner you really are pedaling as hard as her.

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 07:44 pm:      
Hi Adrian
I was surfing thro' Bob Sergeants small sailboat web site when I came across a link to this Hobie canoe version(see below), with an amazing pedal propulsion system. Is it anything like yours, or does yours Dart about even faster? It's certainly worth a look at,as it seems very quick.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/kayak_sail.html Hobie Kayaks.

David

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 04:54 pm:      
Julian, David - thanks for your interest, and thanks for resizing Julian - I kicked myself after posting, just forgot to do it!
I did look at the Winsome - and the Hobie Mirage drive. I've been pursuing the project idly for some time! In the end I've used recon seacycle drive units which I imported from the states, as a compromise between cost, efficiency and robustness.They're like skinny outboard motors with pedals at the top. I've had advice and support from a guy called Rick Willoughby in Australia, who has a great deal of expertise in the field (he engineered the 24hr distance human powered boat record in September 08) and is very generous with his time and expertise. My project is really only bodging together a number of ready made components, and its still teething, but I'm pretty pleased with it all in all.