News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Raising & Lowering the mast

Started by Old Forum, April 06, 2014, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 08:17 pm:      
Yes David - I can second that. I've installed your system (as you know), and although I've yet to lower the mast to go under a bridge, I am adept at raising and lowering it single handed when trailing. A great idea.

Old Forum

Jim Davies
Username: Jim_davies

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 04:45 pm:      
David C - I intend to install your mast raising system on Winkle One (of which, you may have noticed, I have taken over custodianship from Ian). I have a spare jib halliard which should provide the makings. Have you (or anyone else for that matter) ever had any misgivings over replacing metal with string?

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 07:14 am:      
No problems at all. In fact the string is better in the Winklebrig application, as with the mast going up and down, it is the metal forestay and shrouds which need watching for fatigue not the string. However,I do find that I have to tighten the mast halliard periodically when under sail in breezy weather, as the purchase on the mainsheet pulls the mast backwards and 'stretches' it. This is easy to spot and rectify as the danger signs are when shrouds become too slack.(NB Don't be tempted to over-tighten the shrouds - simply slacken off the mainsheet and tighten the mast halliard).

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 08:20 pm:      
Jim,use Dyneema of the largest size that will easily run through the pulleys, 8mm or 10mm. Dyneema is stronger than steel, stretches less than steel (after initial stretch) and does not suffer from fatigue, as Martin said, a major problem with stainless steel rigging

Old Forum

Jim Davies
Username: Jim_davies

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 12:24 am:      
Thanks, gents

Very helpful. Now back in Torridon hoping for a final sail for this season

Jim

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 05:47 pm:      
Some interesting things about Dyneema here:-
http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/Articles/Dyneema1.htm
I might make some changes next year.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:16 am:      
A very interesting article Martin. Is there more out there on how Dyneema stands up to UV light, a consideration for those that leave the rigging exposed to sunlight all the time?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 10:28 am:      
If I add my two pennyworth on dyneema. I have got dyneema shrouds, by default. I had wire shrouds originally, but one of them was slightly damaged, so the builder replaced them, and he is using dyneema for all shrouds now, so sent me a pair of them. Much easier to post apart from anything else. I still have a wire fore stay. The shrouds have been in place now for two full seasons and there is not the slightest sign of degradation yet. By all measures I can apply they are hugely over-strong enough for the job of holding the mast up. I just use rope lanyards at the chain plates. The benefits are that they are easy to role up when the mast is stowed, with no risk of kinking and they are also much kinder on the hand, which is important to me as I am forever swinging around my boat, either to the fore deck to anchor, or just onto a pontoon, and I automatically grab hold of a shroud to steady myself. That was how I discovered the wire shrouds were damaged in the first place... I keep planning to replace the fore stay with dyneema, but keep being put off by the cost. After all, there absolutely noting wrong with the fore stay to justify replacing it.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 07:39 pm:      
What size do you use for the shrouds please Julian?

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 08:21 pm:      
I think they are 8mm 12 strand. The rest of my rigging is by English Braids, but I think the shrouds look like Marlow ropes. I am please dwith them on the basis that I don't give them a thought from one year's end to the other. I have tried, but probably failed, to add a picture showing them.

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 08:57 am:      
I adopted the 'David Cawston' mast lowering method last year, and gave David's photos and 'how to' to a local, and very well respected, rigger. However, he has fitted 5mm dyneema, with a polyester outer coat - I believe it is Liros Magic Gold, which he assured me was up to the job. However, I've since noticed David's recommendation is for 8mm at least, and Julian is using that. Is my Dyneema adequate, and if not, where and what should I get.? I need UV protection as my boat is rigged, and on the water, 3 seasons a year. Perhaps I should add the boat performs well, and withstood F4/5 with no mishap last year.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:49 pm:      
I should think 5mm in polyester is well up to the job. The polyester iteself will add soemthing to the strength and dyneema is phenomenally strong. I have got just plain, uncovered dyneema, which I gather is very UV resitant. I haven't noticed any deterioration or any change in fact, after a full season on a mooring. I have fitted a dyeema forestay now, which I hope holds together. I did the eye splices myself...

Old Forum

Richard_cowlishaw
Username: Richard_cowlishaw

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 06:36 pm:      
I intend to install David Cawston's system for raising the mast on Mudlark, how much rope will I need and what type and diameter would be best suited to the job? Also is some sort of kicker arrangement necessary when sailing down wind. Thankyou.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 12:11 pm:      
Welcome Richard.
I can't help you with the rope quantity (as I can't get to my boat yet), but I would say that no kicker is required on a Winklebrig. I have certainly never had the need of one.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 04:20 pm:      
Hi Richard.The boom on a Winkle brig is fairly heavy so that would have similar effect as kicker. It is advantageous to flatten the sail/reduce the fall off of the gaff when reaching or close hauled. Try this by pulling down on the boom and see if you notice an improvement in speed or pointing ability. Should use a rope or metal horse as this will enable you to pull down hard with the mainsheet without pulling the boom too close to the centre of the boat. My mainsheet was originally sheeted to the centre of the transom.