News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Hello from new winkle brig admirers

Started by Old Forum, April 11, 2014, 09:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Anton Mannion
Username: Anton_mannion

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 01:09 pm:      
Hello all, Just a couple of lines to intrroduce ourselves, Anthony Mannion and Julie Hobson. We have a wayfarer on Ullswater and two weeks ago we were sailing amongst some small gaffers when one caught my eye. We hailed What sort of boat is that? Winklebrig, was the reply. What a lovely boat we said . So we fancy finding out about Winklebrigs. I've always fancied a gaff rig and Julie would like to have a lid and a cabin. We only want a small size, the Winklebrig appears ideal. May we pick all your brains over the winter? Our Wayfarer, W6610, has a yellow main and genoa and we keep it on Ullswater although we live in Salford . I suspect a "love a first sight with the Winklebrig" sort of thing. Cheers Anton and Julie

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 09:08 pm:      
Welcome aboard Anton. It's good to see new names posting on the forum. I expect we'll be seeing your own WB someday in the future!

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:27 am:      
Hi Anton, If you get the opportunity, try and get up to Windermere (with or without boat) for 17-19 October as the Trail Sail Association is having its autumn cruise. Last year we had 4 Winkle Brigs attending. If things run as per last year, most of us will launch at Fell Foot on the Friday (staying on the Fell Foot jetties overnight) or early Saturday, cruise up to Ferry Nab/Bowness for lunch, then head up to the Brathay and moor up the river for Saturday night. Sunday will see the fleet head south and pull out. Do join us if you can.

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:31 pm:      
Anthony and Julie
My wife Barbara and myself also fell in love with the Winklebrig when, by chance we happened across Roger Parish in his lovely boat. We sold our beloved Drascombe Lugger and bought 'Cockle' WB106 over a year or so period. If you are interested in buying a WB I saw one this Summer at Carsington Water in the boat park looking very neglected. It had obviously not been seen to by its owner for a few years.It did have a cover giving it some protection, however.
Maybe the owner would like to sell, the Carsington SC should be able to furnish you with the owner's identity,--their address--
Carsigton Water,
Ashbourne
Derbyshire DE6 1SU
Tel/Fax 01629 540609
E Mail manager@carsingtonsc.co.uk