News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

BSC Inspections

Started by Old Forum, April 11, 2014, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:55 am:      
I note mentions of BSC inspections in the discussion about cookers. My boat has never had one. Do I need one? Where do I get one?

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:50 pm:      
You will really only need a BSC if you are taking your WB on non tidal waters controlled by British Waterways i.e. canals and certain rivers. Markie has a BSC as I am also a keen canal enthusiast and Markie has been to the last two IWA National Trailboat Rallies which took place on canals controlled by British Waterways.

We have also sailed/motored The Caledonian Canal twice and you now need a BSC if you launch in to the canal but not if you traverse from one end to the other.

However more navigation authorities are adopting the BSC and to get an annual licence for the Norfolk Broads in a few years time you will need a BSC. If you only visit for up to 30 days a year i.e. you only buy temporary visitor licences, you will not require a BSC.

If you have no electrics on board and no plumbed in gas and you do not carry any petrol, a WB with an outboard with integral tank will only require 2 fire extinguishers to meet the BSC standards. My certificate cost me £50 valid for 4 years but that cost is set to rise very soon. For more info visit http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 09:40 pm:      
Many thanks David. Most helpful.I was getting a bit worried!

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:06 pm:      
Roger, I have been making enquiries about sailing on Derwent water, and have been told by one of the marinas there that a BSC is not required on the lakes. Does that tie in with your experience on Windemere? Is the certificate generally not required for static bodies of water, just waterways?
David, I am intending to carry a fire extinguisher, and it makes sense to get one (or two) which conform to the BSC, but I am a bit bemused by the specification on their pdf - 2 extinguishers with a minimum combined rating of 10A/68B. I assume this relates to total capacity to put out fire, and that if I get 2no. 5A/34B extinguishers (whatever that means), I then conform.
I notice they are keen on fixed fireblankets also.