News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Professional survey?

Started by Old Forum, April 11, 2014, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 01:53 pm:      
I'd be interested to know how many owners used a professional survey when buying their WBs. (I wouldn't dream of asking you to advise me whether to get one or not!)
Obviously it offers peace of mind, but it is a
It is a small and simple boat, and the hidden bits aren't wood!
I would be grateful for any hints on things to look for. I know about the possible bilge plate issue with the early numbers.

Many thanks

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 06:01 pm:      
As you point out Adrian, the Winkle Brig is a simple boat and apart from the bilge plate housings, everything is visible. Apart from obvious cracks in timber, especially the tabernacle (but everything wood can be stuck back together again unlike aluminium spars) take a really close look at the hull to see if there are any cracks/repairs. One area prone to damage is the foredeck around where the mast and tabernacle sit. Too much downward force on the mast has been known to seriously crack the GRP in this area. Also where the outer hull moulding is joined to the cockpit moulding in the bottom of the outboard well can give slight problems but is easily fixed. Hope you soon join the band of happy WB owners.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 06:08 pm:      
One thing I forgot: the bilge plates on some WBs are plywood with an iron shoe at the back as opposed to GRP with a steel insert. The plywood can delaminate and the shoe can rust which can cause the plates to stick in the up position. Also on these models the rudder was plywood and can suffer wear and tear but this should be easily visible unless it is covered up with a lick of new paint. Many insurance companies require a survey for boats over 20 years old so you might have to end up getting a survey anyway if you buy an early model.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 05:44 pm:      
David, thankyou. that's very helpful.
currently, the cost of a new trailer is making the boat with look rather rather more attractive than the boat without...

Old Forum

Geoffrey Osborn

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:59 am:      
Hi Adrian
There is hidden wood on Calidris WB36. The throughbolt attaching the bowsprit to the stem passes through hidden wood inside the GRP. If the stem holes are not sealed when fitting the bowsprit water can get in an rot the wood. Repair is by cutting off the stem, cleaning out the cavity, fitting new wood, refitting the piece of stem and making good with gelcoat filler, lots of rubbing down etc and polishing

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 01:38 pm:      
Thanks, Geoffrey. I suspect there are are a few areas where wood is encapsulated in the GRP, and if a fitting then penetrates this, the possibility for water ingress and rot is there. and, of course, impossible to inspect! And is it better to seal the holes retrospectively, sealing in any moisture, or to leave the holes, and allow any damp wood to breathe?
I'll try not to worry about that at the moment though: the car is full of camping gear, and whether it will get Peggoty as well over 'Rest and be Thankful' on the way to Gigha is foremost in my mind!