News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

History of your boat

Started by Old Forum, April 11, 2014, 09:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 04:14 pm:      
Thinking about an email to Simon Hill in Australia, it would be interesting to know something of the history of different boats. Here's what I know about mine.

WB6 called Pelican (and I think that has always been her name). I am the third owner, I think, having bought her in 2004. I think she was built in 1988 (or maybe 1985)

The first owner sailed her I know not where, except that at one stage he motored her up the Seine to Paris.

The second owner, a school caretaker in Gloucestershire, towed her down to Dartmouth regularly, but he also took the mast and bowsprit off once and motored very successfully down the Thames from Lechlade to London with is wife. He also spent a week at anchor on the Dart River just enjoying being on his own. Curiously, he sold her because he was retiring and moving to Dartmouth, but his new house wouldn't have room for both a boat and a caravan. Seems his wife liked caravanning He built the beautiful little rail around the back of the cockpit, which just adds that extra little something to the looks. he told me he never used the topsail. Strange.

I keep Pelican on her trailer at the top of my garden in Gloucestershire from Oct to Mar, and then on her trailer at a boat yard on Poole harbour between April and September.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 04:37 pm:      
I can tell you Julian that Pelican (and that is the original name) was built in 1986. Eric Bergqvist used to send me updated lists of boats and owners and the first owner I think was a Mr R Newton/Ian Newton who live/lived in Warwickshire. Back in 1992 I wrote to all the owners on the list and many replied to me with lots of details and facts. Ian Newton says that he gave out details to interested purchasers in places as far apart as Paris and Oxford. So yes that would confirm Pelican has visited Paris. So if anyone wants a little information on your Winkle Brig's former history I will see if I can help.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 04:41 pm:      
Apologies, the last sentence in the above post does not read correctly. It should read 'So if anyone wants a little information on THEIR Winkle Brig's former history I will see if I can help.'

Old Forum

Martin Cartwright

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 09:24 pm:      
Mr Newton had Pelican for sale in 2001 when I went to see her.(I did not buy).
I think I remember him telling me he had sailed her down the Seine and the Thames.She looks much nicer now!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 09:30 am:      
(Martin, I cropped the size of the picture to fit better)
That's my Pelican!
My wife didn't like the colour. When I bought her in 2004 she had been spruced up and a hardwood gallery rail was added around the rear of the cockpit. The trailer was also replaced just before I bought her, so only I am to blame for the condition of the brakes

Old Forum

Teresa Haworth

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:11 pm:      
My Father, Philip Kundert, bought wb?(I think 2) before it was even made from Eric. He named her 'Periwinkle' My father stopped sailing and handed the boat over to me a few years ago, where she stayed at Salterns Marina, then Lilliput boatyard and finally Mitchells yard in poole. Having got 3 small children i decided to have the boat in my garden to save costs. A lorry came, lifted her out the water and transported periwinkle to my front garden. A sad time really but i thought i could do all the work on the boat at home, whilst the baby was sleeping. This still has not happened.. the baby is 6 years old now!!! The boat i would love to do up, problem is having the time. I also have no trailer and cannot justify the funds to moor her in poole/christchurch. Now i am sadly considering selling although often i think maybe one day i will be able to enjoy her!!? This is one decision that will take me a long to make! These boats really do make the owners become very fond of them, which says an awful lot about them. BTW my boat is that awful yellow colour but i do have some navy paint for the hull which i shall do one day!! Eric i heard became seriously ill years ago when he retired, not sure if he is still alive?? I think Pelican is a very striking boat, if ever we get out there i shall look out for you! CONGRATULATIONS ON THIS SITE IT IS SO NICE TO FIND PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THESE LITTLE BOATS ARE ALL ABOUT.

Old Forum

teresa haworth

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:15 pm:      
If anyone wants to ask me any questions about 'Periwinkle' my email address is r.haworth2@ntlworld.com. Was trying to join the register but must be doing something wrong.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 07:05 pm:      
Thanks for telling us about Periwinkle, Teresa. It is nice to know of a Winkle Brig that is older than mine! You can't add yourself to the register directly. I have to do that, and have done so. Sadly I have had to discontinue the Guest book as a lot of SPAM rubbish was being posted there, but the forum is still OK. Do you have any pictures of your boat? If you can send any to me at julian.swindell@jegsweb.co.uk I will add them to the gallery