News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

How many rigs are there?

Started by Old Forum, April 06, 2014, 09:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David_owens
Username: David_owens

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 10:37 pm:      
Martin - have just read your post on 'Strengthening for Coastal Sailing' and found many pics of the modifications you have undertaken. Blimey! I don't think I am ready for this yet! Impressive - and somewhat humbling.

But it does confirm Roger Parish's point that new owners like me would do well to read right through the forums - there is a huge wealth of information here.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 07:57 pm:      
Don't be put off! The standard Winklebrig is a lovely boat. I tinker with mine as much for the enjoyment of the experimentation as for the sailing.I am really not sure if what I modify adds much to the original - but it keeps me happy for hours, especially during the winter months.
I do have failures. I just don't post the details on the web and I try and cover the holes with the next modification! (Incidentally, I have reverted back to lanyards rather than bottle screws on the stays as I found that tensioning is much easier with the original design).
With regard to the mizzen,don't embark upon this lightly, as although I think I now have a nicely balanced boat I have had to extend the bowsprit and increase the sail area forward of the mast (and carry out various other modifications) to achieve it. A marine architect would probably have kittens, so if you proceed with this be careful.
Happy sailing.