News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Topsail

Started by Old Forum, April 06, 2014, 09:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 09:27 pm:      
The Mirror mast measures 1.75 inches (43mm). Diameter not critical. I have used plastic waste pipe to make a spar. This can be stiffened by inserting 3/4 splines of wood generously coated with polyurethane wood glue. The wood should be damp and the glue will foam and fill the void. 40mm is a standard size but you may be able to get something larger. Durable and wont need painting!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 09:34 pm:      
Excellent advice. Many thanks.
By shear coincidence having never seen another Winklebrig in these parts before, I walked past Nutmeg (WB103)today in Fox's Marina Ipswich and saw that she has adopted the Parish topmast arrangement as well. It is catching on!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 05:24 pm:      
Here is the new cutter rig with longer bowsprit complete with Dolphin Striker! Can't wait to get on the water to try it out, but north-easterlies aren't good news in these parts.

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:40 pm:      
After the first sail of the season on Monday I tried out the 'Roger Parish' top mast arrangement with complete success. Many thanks Roger,it works beautifully, simplifying enormously the task of raising and lowering the topsail especially for the single hander.A highly recommended modification.
Not so much success with the topsail jib I am afraid!Using my old staysail I hoisted it aloft on the new topmast only to find that on a boat the size of a Winklebrig it is completely invisible. With all sails set, there is nowhere on the boat you can see it from! Never mind, for a few anxious seconds I had 6 sails set (or at least I had to assume that they were all set), which must be a record for a Winklebrig.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 07:26 pm:      
Glad it works well. Does the top mast slide in the fittings? Knowing how you like bits of string to pull I would expect this to be controlled from the cockpit!!

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 06:13 pm:      
Funnily enough I did think about this! But no.I rig it it up on the trailer and then leave it up. I did try and work out a way of stowing the topsail on the gaff spar when not in use, but nothing worked as well as just letting it flap.