News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Shaft length?

Started by Old Forum, April 06, 2014, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Brian Kirkland
Username: Brian_kirkland

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 10:34 am:      
WB30 came with a Mariner 4 as a replacement outboard (original had been stolen), seller apologised for it "not being right". Now, several years later, I recognise that he meant the shaft was too short. Julian's picture of his outboard on his old WB (see "Engine Aground" thread) shows the shaft clearly. Well on my WB the shaft is a good 2 inches shorter, and has caused hull damage. What length of shaft are folks using? I had planned to purchase "preloved" if I can find one, or new if I can afford it, a Mariner or Tohatsu 5 or 6 Sailmate. I understand these have a 'long' shaft as standard. Would "long" shaft be appropriate?

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 02:29 pm:      
I may have caused some confusion on this one. Sorry all.
I thought that my Totatsu 6 hp was a 'standard shaft' (15"), but I have just measured it and it is a 20" 'long shaft'. According to the old brochure (10 years ago) they also did a 25" 'extra long shaft'.
I can confirm that a 20" long shaft Tohatsu 6 HP fits in the well......but only just!

Old Forum

Brian Kirkland
Username: Brian_kirkland

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 04:01 pm:      
Ace Martin! that's me sorted now - well, as far as knowing what fits (just!!!) 20" is an excellent measurement figure for me to remember. And I've just measured my current shaft - it's about 15", no wonder it seems shorter than Julian's photo! Pam got fairies to work my Deks Olje supplies - wonder if Santa reads this forum? Thanks for the measurement Martin, it is reassuring to have definite info before purchase, much appreciated.