News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Engine security

Started by Old Forum, April 06, 2014, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 08:28 pm:      
The downside of keeping my boat on a mooring have been very few until yesterday. I rowed up to her, got ready to climb in and noticed a big empty well where the outboard should have been. Sometime in the last two weeks someone got aboard, cut the padlock with a pair of bolt cropppers and took the whole thing. Meant I had to go sailing without the engine, which was fine until I had to tow her home behind the dinghy in a flat calm against a foul tide.
Does anyone have any good ideas for engine security apart from just taking the horrible thing off each time?

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 08:34 pm:      
We lost engines(30hp) from our safety boat at the sailing club and decided the only way is to make them unsaleable! They are now etched with the words "stolen from Sutton Sailing Club " and painted canary yellow. I have etched my boat name in several places on my engine but not painted it!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:07 am:      
What a brilliant idea! I was speaking to someone from another sail training centre. They have such a serious outboard theft problem from their rescue boats that they are even thinking of closing down but I shall forward on this idea.
What I am doing is buying a smaller engine which will be underpowered I suspect, but I will be able to remove it and take it home. The 4HP Yamaha was such a pig to handle that it just stayed locked on the transome all season. I hope whoever nicked it ricked his back in the process.