News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Trailing woes and Trailer capacities

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

David Peck
Username: David_peck

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 06:26 pm:      
I have had 2 years of trailer problems. Last year whilst manoeuvring my trailer to hitch up to the car the trailing arm on one side just disintegrated.
The antics performed to get the boat and trailer back up my drive and onto its storage area I won't go into, but suffice it to say, that was the end of 2007 sailing as it took a few months to get a new one.
The broken one looked very much like the standard Indesuspension full axle with Rubber 'Inde' units in the ends. The trailing arms being made of steel plate in two halves welded together to form a hollow arm thereby getting saltwater inside and rusting away. Beware if you have similar units
A friend of mine makes trailers and many trailer parts for the trade (Towsure etc) and he has made me a superb four wheel trailer, purpose built to cart my miniature steam loco around the country (Weighs about .75 tonnes).
On the grounds that this trailer is so good I asked him to make me a replacement axle. He cautioned me that the maximum rubber suspension arms that he is tooled up to make were to carry one tonne. I did my sums and as the weight of the WB is 650 kilos I reckoned that I would have 1/3 of a tonne spare for the trailer and equipment. (I carry thing like provisions and outboard in the car when trailing) Ample I thought, so 2008 ready for the sea.
I had a fraught 4 days due to brake problems getting to Nefyn in north Wales, but worse than that, the trailing arms on the new axle, over the journey had pushed up to about 5 degrees above the horizontal. This made launching from ramps difficult due to the changes in gradient. The rear of the trailer was by now perilously close to the ground. (I launched and recovered from a shallow gradient beach in the end, stripping and cleaning the hubs to prevent damage from saltwater after launch and recovery). They'd been off so many times during my initial brake problems I could do it with my eyes closed!
Cockle stayed on my mooring in the bay for the 3 week holiday. Too much wind, too little wind, and lots of rain made me wonder whether all the efforts I'd put in were worth it with the limited amount of sailing we had.
Following a very nervous journey home the trailing arm angle getting worse if anything, I put the boat and trailer on a local weigh bridge, to check its actual weight.
Exclusive of engine it weighed 1020 kilos. Excluding the wheels, the arms would be supporting under a ton. It's apparent that the 1ton axle he supplied doesn't support 1ton!
The result of all this means that I have found a suitable replacement, I hope, from Indesuspension, (Google Indesuspension.co.uk)
It is their superide unit 1300kg SH032.
I still think a 1 tonne axle should carry a ton but referring to Roger's article on his web site he seems think having spare capacity is a good idea as he says it trails much better. Has the 1300kg trailer enough spare? The 'Inde' axles all seem to have these hollow trailing arms
I really want to trail with as much security as I can possibly build in, it's too nerve wracking otherwise!
Any comments?

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:34 am:      
A year or two ago Indespension did me a deal whereby they took back my very old Roller Coaster 3 (minus the rear bespoke Winklebrig tilting roller assemby)and exchanged it for a Roller Coaster 7.
The Roller Coaster 7 is much more robust (Gross weight 1500kgs payload 1050kgs) and is an excellent fit for the Winklebrig. Towing and launching is easy, except on very flat slipways.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 06:22 pm:      
1300 kgs units should give you 200kgs spare for personal gear. My boat weighed in at 1100kgs which included engine ground tackle etc. I used Peak Trailers for supension units, bearings etc. Check prices! However it is important to get the correct tyres as these will significantly affect towing performance.

Old Forum

David Cawston
Username: David_cawston

Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 09:59 pm:      
Markie came in at 1100kg as well, so I upgraded from the original 860kg Indespension units and 155/12 tyres to 1300kg Avonride units and 175/13 6 ply tyres running at 50 psi (now being upgraded further to 8 ply as Hankook do them for under £38 each). Markie tows like a dream, 65mph, oooops, sorry, 60mph is a doddle with no sway at all.

Old Forum

David Peck

Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 05:27 pm:      
Many thanks for the observations, it would appear that there is a general consensus that 1300kg will be sufficient.
My view is that a 1ton unit should carry 1ton, a1300kg should carry 1300kg, without over stressing the unit i.e. it does what it says on the tin.
The total outfit that I was trying to carry was exactly 1ton, including trailer, so the 1ton units should have at least just coped. I am therefore inclined to believe that the units were not in fact designed to carry 1ton.
If I desire to carry the engine and ground tackle on the boat whilst trailing I'm looking at a total load, including trailer, of 1000+25+20 = 1045kg, leaving 255kg. This will also cope with any possible dynamic extra load from the engine on the back, it is cantilevered a long way back from the axle.
There is a Indesuspension agent called BDS Trailers in Sheffield, where I live so armed with your views I will go and talk to them, and get a comparative price from Peak Trailers.
I'm inclined to go for the 'Inde' option as it will fit my existing wheels frame and mudguard fittings.
The comments regarding tyres are noted and will be duly factored in to the new suspension.
I'll report any progress, but as a matter of interest, for now, the trailer I have has no rollers, the boat being supported on a greased timber trough under the keel with padded timber chine supports cut to fit at the middle of the boat. I thought this system would cause problems but in fact it's the only thing that has caused no trouble. The boat slides on and off with ease (I keep the channel well greased – which also stops the timber rotting!)
I have fitted a 2 speed 1800lb capacity Dutton Lanson hand winch which once the boat is lined up to the channel pulls her on with ease.

Old Forum

David Peck

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 05:02 pm:      
Further to my posting 29 Oct 2008 here is a picture, for interest, of Cockle's trailer showing the greased timber keel trough and chine supports.

David Peck

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 05:27 pm:      
Two tries at getting the picture in, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, having followed the intructions to the letter. They've worked for me before. I give up.