News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Beaching a Winklebrig

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Martin_cartwright
Username: Martin_cartwright

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:20 pm:      
Has anyone tried beaching a WB, letting the tide go down and then floating off say 6-12 hours later?
Here on the East Anglian coast there are plenty of harbours, but a lot of sand in between, so I tend to tow and day sail. However, I have often wondered if I could stop off on a beach for a night and thereby cover more ground. Would you ground bow first or reverse in (to keep the waves out of the cockpit)? Would those inflatable rollers work or is a WB too heavy? I would be pleased to hear any views.

Old Forum

Adrian Evans
Username: Adrian_evans

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 09:17 pm:      
beachability was important to me in choosing the wb, though I've only nudged it up and pulled it off relatively quickly so far.
Roger has a picture of a wb dried out at alnmouth on his website.
the relatively high angle of tilt was a concern for comfortable sleeping, and I have considered making some folding legs/chocKs

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 09:28 pm:      
I have grounded and dried out many times. Sometimes I even meant to do it... If the bottom is soft the boat stays upright, but it does lean over quite a bit if the bottom is hard. I have beached deliberately a couple of times, always bow first, but only when there was practically no surf at all. I would not fancy beaching with waves, or beaching overnight anywhere that there was a risk of seas building up. The winkle Brig is a tiny little boat, I wouldn't want to be caught in the open on a lee shore. One big wave could easily flip it over.

Old Forum

Roger Parish
Username: Roger_parish

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:12 pm:      
Julian ,you should have called your boat "chameleon" the colour appears to change with the background!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:34 am:      
The yellow hull is the original colour but we didn't like it. In fact my wife said she wouldn't get back into it unless I painted it! I cribbed the colour scheme off another boat I had seen and I do like it. My kids say it is an appalling paint finish, I say it is a "woodgrain effect".