News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Keeping a Winkle Brig on a mooring

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:50 pm:      
I am hoping to keep my boat on a swing mooring in Poole Harbour this year. Usually I keep her on a trailer and launch her when needed, but that means I am tied to the boatyard opening times, and the best summer sailing is often in the evening. The mooring gets around that, but has the added problems of getting out to the boat, security etc. Does anyone have experience of keeping a WB on a swing mooring? Any recommendations or tips? All advice gratefully received.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:41 pm:      
I have never left the Wb on a swinging mooring but we do use one on Windermere for overnighting. I use a short rope strop with a snaphook at each end and this is attached to the eye at the lower end of the bobstay. This ensures a quiet night without the line rubbing on the bobstay. The line can be seen in the picture on the front page of my website. I would always put a second line to the mooring bouy and through the fairlead to the front deck cleat. This can then be left slack.

Old Forum

nick baker

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:49 pm:      
My boat Tendagon WB9 is on a swinging mooring here in France each year from April to October on an estuary with up to 12m tidal rise and fall so I use two ropes to the mooring buoy as well!
A few things to bear in mind -

The sun and rain play havoc with the varnish and you may need to redo some parts during the season.
I find the hatch cover is particularly prone to this so I have a tarpaulin over it on bungy cords.

Then you have the seagull and cormorant poo. If you're lucky they will roost on someone elses boat - if not put a net over the boat or string up some old CD's

The sun will fade your sails very quickly so keep them covered.

What to do with the dinghy when you are off sailing? I leave mine locked to the buoy and take the oars with me.

Can you get to the mooring at all states of the tide?

You will need to lock the tiller in position and make sure the boom and gaff are secured. I have a dummy tiller which I use for this purpose.

I hope all this hasn't put you off - I think it still beats launch/recovery and your trailer brakes and wheelbearings last longer!

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:00 am:      
Brig O'Dale used to be kept on a swinging mooring at Dale in Milford Haven. On one occasion the owners returned to find the forestay had broken and the mast had fallen back and damaged the companionway hatch. They think the mooring line might have got caught around the forestay but they will never know. As Nick points out leaving a WB exposed to the elements really does take its toll and will quickly turn a pristine boat into a sunbleached (even with our UK weather), neglected looking, messy boat unless you are willing to spend a lot of time (and money) protecting it. Also I believe Poole Harbour is renowned for hull fouling. A WB is slow enough but with a load of weed attached, it will just stand still (oh I do like to exaggerate).