News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Parking the WB off the trailer

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Adrian Evans

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 04:31 pm:      
I have to take Peg off the trailer whilst I upgrade the trailer. Julian, you posted that you have Pelican sitting on some tyres. Did you just in effect 'launch' Pelican onto the ground plus strategically placed tyres? are there any issues with doing this?
Thanks

Adrian.

Oh, and when I've completed my repairs, I may have got over events it sufficiently to post my own cautionary tale, possibly even with pictures of the gory details. And the contretemps with the tree wasn't the worst of it...

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 05:47 pm:      
Hi Adrian
What upgrading are you doing? If it is new suspension units there should be no need to unload the trailer, just a good trolley jack and axle stand (for safety) will do the trick. If you need to replace rollers, I have done this whilst Markie is off the trailer and afloat.
Good luck with the upgrade.
David

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:59 am:      
I didn't have any trouble getting Pelican off onto the grass. Just back winched until she tilted and the end of the keel touched the ground and then got a couple of people to hold onto the transom whilst I slowly drove forward. I put one tyre either side (I got them free from a tyre replacement garage) under the bilges and that holds her very steady. I've overhauled all the rollers and completed mots paint jobs. Have yet to get her back on the trailer, so will let you know how difficult that proves!

Old Forum

Julian Swindell

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 02:27 pm:      
Quite a challenge to get back on the trailer from the ground.
The front of the boat is so low, you cannot winch it on with the car attached to the trailer. You have to unhitch the trailer and push the tow hitch end up in the air so that the winch can pull straight onto the cradle.
It is much easier if the trailer wheels are free to turn (no chocking) so the trailer is pulled under the boat, rather than the boat dragged on to the trailer. The trailer only tips down just before the boat comes up to the bow snubber.
Get the boat really in line with the trailer. Any misalignment and the rollers are all over the place. Getting the boat back off the trailer to sort this out involves a rope from the car as the tow hitch is six feet up in the air at this point.
Pelican is back on her trailer, but it all took a bit of planning and trail and error.