News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Trailer Resources

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 08:27 pm:      
Julian you have brought together some very useful information. Under the NTTA guide in the tyre section there is an explanation of the data on the wall of a tyre . The date stamp needs to be explained more fully as tyres on a trailer are usually replaced on a time interval basis as you are unlikely to wear out the tread.
The Caravan club reccommends that tyres are replaced after 7years. The date stamp has three numbers , the first two are the week of manufacture and the third is the decade in which the tyre was made. If there is a triangle or splodgy bit of rubber after the numbers then the trye was made in the 1990's , if there is nothing the tyre was made in the 2000's or the 1980's (but surely no one is using these!) This information was given in the TSA Newsletter some time ago.

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 07:50 pm:      
I was discussing today with a TSA member the licensing requirements for trailer towing. These are listed under the NTTA guide in the resouces section and limit the towing of trailers if you passed your driving test after Jan 1997. Probably doesn't affect many of us unless you have to renew your licence which has expired or got lost or perhaps apply for a new European licence. The point I want to get across is make sure that any reissue covers the old categories or you may have to take an extra test to cover trailer towing. As an example when my licence expires and it is reissued with the new categories I would not be able to legally tow the Wb behind my Discovery because the combined GTW is about 4tonnes and the max allowed now is 3.5tonnes!