News:

Please let me know of any errors or suggestions to improve the site
(either email or use the "Contact Us" on the main site).

Main Menu

Keeping rollers the right way round

Started by Old Forum, April 10, 2014, 11:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:38 pm:      
I've just had a difficult haul out with an exceptionally strong cross tide. When I finally pulled the trailer up the ramp, we found that one of the aft roller units s on the cradle was tilted outwards and holding the boat up very awkwardly. The boatyard staff lifted the whole boat up with a fork lift so I could straighten it up. I've had this problem a few times. Is there any way of keeping the rollers tilted inwards against a current which is trying to tilt them over? I am thinking of packing some foam rubber under them to see if that helps. Any suggestions?

Old Forum

Roger Parish

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 07:34 pm:      
I have never experienced this problem possibly because mine are fairly stiff to move. Perhaps that is the answer to tighten them up? Alternatively why not connect the two opposite sides with bungy rope and then tie the ropes down to the mid point on the axle. That would certainly keep then pointing inwards.
I do use a restraining rope on the main swinging arm to stop it inverting.

Old Forum

David Cawston

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 09:53 pm:      
I think Roger's answer of tightening them up is the best solution. The bars with the rollers on are stiff to move in the supporting plates, they have always been stiff but with the weight of a WB being pulled up on them they do move easily enough.

Old Forum

Julian Swindell
Username: Julian_swindell

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:20 am:      
Something as basic as tightening up the bolts hadn't occurred to me! The rollers that give me most problems are the ones that rock easily. I'll try tightening them next time I'm down (not for a couple of weeks.

One other trailer query. The previous owner of my boat, for reasons best known to himself, shortened the central bar from the hitch to the trailer by about two feet. He said he just couldn't understand why it was so long. He had a saloon car and I have an estate, so my tailgate fouls the bowsprit when I open it. I would also like to be able to push the boat out just that bit further when I launch. Does anyone know if it is acceptable to just get a new section welded onto the central tow bar, or would I have to replace the whole T shaped tow and cross bar with a whole new unit? I realise there would be problems with the galvanising, but I am also concerned about the strength of the bar.